turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Bearded Hens / Have You?

Started by bbcoach, March 18, 2014, 08:18:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tbrom

Nope. I have had one in the back yard the last couple of years.

kevin2

I saw one last year. Legal to shoot here in Michigan, but it was opening day, so I kept on huntin!
I am going to bag my first Turkey this spring if it is the last thing I do!

gobbler777

This will be my 51st Spring season and I have never killed one although I've had opportunities. Just didn't feel like taking an "egg layer" out of the population.LOL
For Gibson and Mincey crow calls visit CrowMart at www.crowmart.com  Turkey Guide - Maryland

Tommythreetoes

Quote from: gobbler777 on March 18, 2014, 09:48:51 PM
This will be my 51st Spring season and I have never killed one although I've had opportunities. Just didn't feel like taking an "egg layer" out of the population.LOL

I hope I get 51 springs to hunt turkey..good for you man.  Keep going.  :z-guntootsmiley:

old3toe

Its legal here in ky spring or fall. I've seen lots of them but only taken one. She had a 7 3/4 inch beard. Very interesting bird. When i checked her in my friend which worked at the place at the time was freaking out!! Thought i was gong to jail and gonna be in the paper.lol. I doubt i'll ever shoot another one other than with my bow in the fall.

jwhunter

We have bearded hens all over the farm. I haven't felt the urge to shoot one yet

bigbird

I shot one in '06. She was sporting a 10 3/4" beard. Only hen I've ever shot

Frank G

Have seen a few, watched mostly. If it has a very substantial beard I would take it only to have one in the trophy room. Just one time only. It is legal in TN.  :newmascot:

Frank G  In Tennessee

ziggy

have seen numerous bearded hens and have never wanted to shoot one.  as said before, they can breed just like any other hen.  seems kind of stupid to shoot one to me.
"Playing that cowboy music
And it feels good, to be working hard"

Dan Mallia

I've seen a couple on some properties I hunt and it just give em a pass. One of em has a rope!  :drool:  I'm hoping she passes on those traits to the male turkeys she hatches out.  :you_rock:

Garrett Trentham

I've passed on several. Over here in NC we have small but growing turkey population. I try not to hinder their growth in any way. In other areas that have a strong and established turkey population with more tags, I might think about it. However, I can never see myself passing on a gobbling longbeard for a bearded hen.
"Conservation needs more than lip service... more than professionals. It needs ordinary people with extraordinary desire. "
- Dr. Rex Hancock

www.deltawaterfowl.org

racks

I've killed 2, legal here in Ky. Its been a few years, not sure I'd kill another.

BBD

Never have and most likely never will. I have seen a couple different color phase hens that would make beautiful mounts but I've never shot them either. To each his own...

triplebeard

I have been told that bearded hens carry the gene that produces gobblers with multiple beards. I do not know if this is true but have 2 bearded hens on my place that have been there for about 6 years. 3 seasons ago I took the first bird with more than one beard that has ever been killed on my place and I have been hunting 20 years.  It had 3 beards (10, 9&1/2 & a 3").  Last season I saw a gobbler with at least 2 beards.  Is this a coincidence or is she producing gobblers with multiple beards I don't know but I will definitely not be shooting her since they are not legal in Alabama.