turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

New guy here,, Spend my money!

Started by angus, March 16, 2014, 05:13:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

angus

Finally decided to join and quit lurking.. Lots of great info on here, and good reads.

Ive been through a ton of turkey guns over the years, and am wanting a little advice for setting up my newest purchase. Iv bought a Mossberg 935, and am wanting opinions on what choke to buy for it. Ive recently tried the Federal Heavyweight 7s in my sons 1100 20 gauge and was blown away by them, so Ive bought a few boxes of them for my 935, so What are everyones ideas on what choke to shoot in a 935 with the heavyweight 7s? Im right at the point of pulling the trigger on an Indian Creek Haymaker since Ive read good things about it with this shell? But I also have read here that Trulock is making a choke specifically for the heavyweight 7s, although I couldn't find it on their website? Im also considering the Longbeard XRs as an option also since Ive heard a few guys claim they patterned better than the 7s in their guns?

So, new 935 with 24 inch barrel, shooting Heavyweight 7s, Longbeard xrs, or Even Magnum Blends? What choke would everyone recommend to put the best pattern for Turkeys.. Thanks for your advice guys.

ILIKEHEVI-13

Welcome to Old Gobbler. 

In your 935, stick to chokes from .670 to .690 for the better patterns.  Hevi-13 loads work well.  I prefer Hevi-13 3.5" #7's, but the Hevi-13 3" #7'swill work fine as well as the Hevi-13 #6's.  A lot of guys are shooting the Win Long Beard shells this year.  They shoot very well.  Pure Gold, Hevi-Shot, and Jelly Head makes some good chokes. 

BigStrutter

:welcomeOG:

I really love my Jellyhead choke. I think the Jellyhead for the 935 is a .690 constriction. As far as shells, a lot of people are having great results with Longbeards. I like the Magblends.
"Wolves don't lose sleep over the opinions of sheep"

drum817

Buy a SumToy .675 & shoot the long beards.
"Freedom Has Never Been Free"

tnturkey

jelly head, rhino, or sumtoy. and magnum blends or nitro company.

angus

Thanks guys.. And no one is even mentioning the Indian Creek or the Trulock.. hmmmm I looked at the Jellyhead,, and wondered about it, I can get a really good deal on the Jellyhead and was thinking it would be worth trying out for the price.. and Yes the Jelly is a .690, as is a lot of the chokes for the 935.. Keep em coming guys.

SCDieselDawg

TruGlo SSX is a jam up choke in the 835/935s. On the subject of Indian Creek chokes I'll be doing a side by side comparison if the SSX against the Indian Creek as well as a MadMax sometime this upcoming week using a Mossberg 935 and all 3 shot sizes of the Winchester LongBeards in 3.5" shells as well as various other lead loads from Winch and Federal.  So stay tuned

bbcoach

Pure Gold .670, Sumtoy .675, IC .675, Stardot .676 will all shoot well with the Hevi 6's or 7's.

SumToy

Quote from: bbcoach on March 17, 2014, 07:42:57 AM
Pure Gold .670, Sumtoy .675, IC .675, Stardot .676 will all shoot well with the Hevi 6's or 7's.

:agreed:
The Tru-glo works also. 

Now I am  :z-flirtysmile3: to one choke and would have them in a different order. :toothy12:
That said they all will work just fine. 

:welcomeOG:
Tell us just how dead do you want them to be and we will see if we can get that for you.
Building American made products with American made CNC's and Steel.  Keep all the service Men and Women that gave a LIFE for our FREEDOM a live when you buy American.  God Bless the USA

outdoors

I GOT ONE ALSO , ALL I DID WAS A DEEP CLEAN AND GOT A SSX BUT HAVNT HAD TIME TO DIAL IT IN ,,IM GLAD THIS POST CAME UP ... I LIKE TOO KNOW HOW SCDieseldawg ends up ..... :fud:
Sun Shine State { Osceola }
http://m.myfwc.com/media/4132227/turkeyhuntnoquota.jpg

noisy box call that seems to sound like a flock of juvenile hens pecking their way through a wheat field

olejake

TRUGLO SSX  .670....Shot my 935 for the first time this Sat pm...glad that I had the fortitude to pattern correctly as it was shooting high from the factory...had ordered the SSX at the advice of a forum member who's advice I hold highly...shooting Hevi's in 3 " and 6 shot...once I figured out the sight correction, I will venture to say that my "ultimate" turkey gun is complete...never shot it past 40 but mission accomplished....was very,very pleased

turkey buster

I have a 24in 935 with the ssx choke and got 242 in the 10 at 40 with the longbeard 3.5in #6's. It was 50 degrees. I got upper 290's at 38-39 yards prior to that in mid 60 degree weather. My point of aim / impact was right 8-10 inches and added the tru glo magnum dot sights to the rib and she should be a turkeys nightmare now. I have some patterns posted in the pattern forum

SCDieselDawg

Quote from: outdoors on March 17, 2014, 08:41:38 AM
I GOT ONE ALSO , ALL I DID WAS A DEEP CLEAN AND GOT A SSX BUT HAVNT HAD TIME TO DIAL IT IN ,,IM GLAD THIS POST CAME UP ... I LIKE TOO KNOW HOW SCDieseldawg ends up ..... :fud:

I'll post it over in the patterning section. I do have to admit that I don't have the LongBeard 6d on hand yet since I don't usually hunt with 6s. But none the less I will pattern what I have and post results and do the 6s when my local shop restocks their shelves.

GT623

Quote from: SCDieselDawg on March 17, 2014, 12:19:28 PM
Quote from: outdoors on March 17, 2014, 08:41:38 AM

I'll post it over in the patterning section. I do have to admit that I don't have the LongBeard 6d on hand yet since I don't usually hunt with 6s. But none the less I will pattern what I have and post results and do the 6s when my local shop restocks their shelves.

PM me your address DeiselDawg and I will send you a couple.  I have a couple boxes.