North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Working a bird thats uphill from u?

Started by cohuttariverrat, March 15, 2014, 10:29:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

appalachianstruttstopper

Quote from: L.F. Cox on March 19, 2014, 09:58:54 AM
The real problem calling gobbler down hill is you are more likely to get spotted by him.

This is true, most of the turkeys I call to in the woods my setup is where when I see him, he is in range. Most areas I hunt has alot of under brush, mountain laurels, rhododendrons, wild roses etc. That makes for some close shots alot of times.

WyoHunter

Quote from: turkey_slayer on March 16, 2014, 10:04:11 AM
Call him down. Unless I'm on the ridge top a lot of birds will circle to get above me then ease down. Gives them the advantage point. I don't know who started the "they want come down hill" or always get above or on the same level but it's deff wrong

That's the advice I'd give. Some birds will and some birds won't come down but you never know until you try. I've called birds up hill, down hill, thru fences and across creeks so it all depends on the bird and the mood he's in. 
If I had a dollar for every gobbler I thought I fooled I'd be well off!

Gooserbat

First thing I do is see if he will come down, if so I shoot him.  If not I get up and move to an up hill position.
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

cohuttariverrat

This is so crazy, I been chasing birds 4 years now and had no luck with them uphill from me until 2 days ago. Finally worked 1 down hill to me tue morning and he went home with me. My set up was on a knob where the ridge flatten out and had thicker cover for this time of year. I was working a bird below me when 1 started hammering above me as well. Talk about a tough decision. which one to set up on? I chose to face the one uphill cause he was closest. He hung up at 80yd strutting and putting on his show. A little purring then silent treatment and he came searching. Didn't have a shot until 15yd an same time he spooked. Heck I hit him bad. He took off hauling the mail back up that ridge and so did I. I got 2nd shot at 35yd and rolled him. He ran some more into laurel thicket where I finally busted his head. I bout passed out I ran so hard to catch him. What a hunt! I had read all of these reply's on here and took note of my setup below them also not being so visible. Thanks allot yall for the tips. Also I was the one who posted about my dog getting my beard from this bird LOL

Skeeterbait

If turkeys only walked up hill then the hilltops would be covered with turkeys.  The problem is that from above he has a commanding view of your location and he don't see no hen.  It is easier to fool him if you can move along the ridge and come up equal to his level, then call him along the ridge.  If you cut a good deer trail, old road bed or other line running along the ridge set up on it.  You can be assured he knows about it and it will lead him to you.

I talked to a fishing pro one time and he said "I don't make a single cast to a piece of structure till I am in the right position to do so". Good advise for turkey hunting too.