OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Is it worth it ?

Started by Canteathorns, March 14, 2014, 08:11:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Canteathorns

:OGturkeyhead: just wondering ... if your getting good killing patterns with lead at 40 yards is it worth 5-8$ per shell for HTL ? I know of no one in my area who uses HTL , and most of the time isn't even stocked at local stores , heck we haven't even seen fed thugs yet  !

mattbrooks

I'd stick with what's already working.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

drum817

In short...no.  Lead will get it done easily at 40 and under!
"Freedom Has Never Been Free"

Longshanks

Lead will get it done. I'm back to hunting with lead after shooting Fed HW,Nitro, Hevi 13 etc. several of my guns shoot great patterns with Pb 6's at 40 and that's all I need. Still have allot of HTL in the gun cabinet and probably not gonna buy anymore when I run out.

highwaygun

Dont let cost effect your choice on ammo even the most expensive htl load you can buy more than likely will be the cheapest thing you carry in your vest into the woods to go after old tom.

tnturkey

ammo even if it is 8 dollars a shell is very cheap compared to many other things. lead can and will kill at 40. but I trust and im confident with htl loads and imo its well worth it. but imagine the amount of money you spend on every thing else especially gas 8 dollars a shell is cheap imo compared to a lot of other things. if you don't miss 15 shells will easily last you 2 or 3 years.

budtripp

Its all about using what you have confidence in. Its really not that expensive in the long run comparatively speaking. Haha I wish I shot as many turkeys as some of you guys do. 20 rds is about an 8-10 year supply for me with my state's 2 bird limit. Yet for some reason I still have about 120 rds of various turkey loads  :z-guntootsmiley:

highwaygun

Quote from: tnturkey on March 16, 2014, 10:20:27 PM
ammo even if it is 8 dollars a shell is very cheap compared to many other things. lead can and will kill at 40. but I trust and im confident with htl loads and imo its well worth it. but imagine the amount of money you spend on every thing else especially gas 8 dollars a shell is cheap imo compared to a lot of other things. if you don't miss 15 shells will easily last you 2 or 3 years.
I totally agree. The thing thats gets me is the guys that have multiple turkey guns costing thousands of dollars saying that cant see paying $8 a shell for a HTL load when lead does the trick just the same. Yeah and a single shot h&r with a fixed full choke with kill a turkey just as dead as the best autoloader money can buy. I mean come on you can spring for a rob roberts custom beneli sbe with polished barrel, lengthened cone, $100 choke, pistol grip stock, burris fast fire, and so on and so forth. Then when it comes to your shell now you want to pinch pennys. You now if your broke and all you can afford is economy lead shells I understand I have been there or if you just like shooting lead thats cool to but if you have the money they are well worth it.

bawana

I'm sure they are worth it..................and I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night!

Bigspurs68

Yes. It is worth it. What we shoot is what seals the deal. It finishes out ultimate goal. I know it's worth it every time that invisible hand comes up, grabs him by the neck and jerks him to the ground...with authority.
Momma said "Kill that turkey"

mikejd

Great points here guys. Funny that most of the time we dont think of it like that.
This os the same point I use with my fish hooks. I use the best hooks around
because  that is the only connection between me and my fish. Yet shells we sometimes want to cheap out.
A box of 5 hevi 13 should last me at least 2 1/2 seasons that's if I can limit.
That said. I guess they are worth it. Unless your a patterning junkie like me.

Gobble!

If your happy with what you have then no. If you want better numbers then yes.

d.winsor

Never have shot HTL, and don't intend to.  I have always shot good killing 40 yard patterns with pb.  Now with long beards there is no excuse to shoot HTL, other than preference.  A lot has been said by HTL users that hunters using longbeards, will have a false confidence and will take too long of shots.  I think any ethical hunter knows the limits of the equipment that they use.  There is always going to be slobs that push the limits of pb and HTL.  Those are the ones that watch the turkeys run off, from taking too long of shots.  Just because one pays double for HTL doesn't make it the best, it is the ethical attitude of the hunter that makes pb or HTL the best not the price.  The cost of a shell has no bearing on the benefit of one shell verses another, after 40 yards its all long shots, that's just my preference. 

WildTigerTrout

Not worth it to me. I killed one gobbler about ten years ago with the "old" Rem. Hevi-shot 3.5" HV #4. IMO it did'nt kill the bird any better than lead would have. I still have a couple boxes of those Rem. shotshells stashed away but have not used any more of them. I guess I am old-fashioned and maybe a little stubborn but I LIKE LEAD!
Deer see you and think you are a stump. The Old Gobbler sees a stump and thinks it is YOU!

davisd9

The cost of Htl is worth it to me because the less time I have to wait on him flopping the quicker I can get to the next one.  :D
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer