turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

3" shell out of 3 1/2" chamber?

Started by econo, March 14, 2014, 10:39:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

econo

will a 3 1/2" chamber shotgun, shoot the 3" shell with just as good a pattern as running the 3" shell through a 3" chamber shotgun?
May God bless you all

reynolds243

yes, I shoot 3" from my SBE2 just fine....the 3.5 will tend to give better numbers as far as pattern but the 3" pattern just fine from my set up so the increase recoil just wasn't worth it for me.

drum817

Quote from: reynolds243 on March 14, 2014, 10:44:47 AM
yes, I shoot 3" from my SBE2 just fine....the 3.5 will tend to give better numbers as far as pattern but the 3" pattern just fine from my set up so the increase recoil just wasn't worth it for me.

:agreed: I have shot a lot of 3" shells from 3.5" guns with GREAT results!!!
"Freedom Has Never Been Free"

zeke632

My SX2 shoots 3" shells as good as the 3.5"

Easier in my pocket to carry extras, easier on my pocket book and easier on my old shoulder.

davisd9

Sometimes a 3" shell will shoot just as good or better than a 3.5" shell.
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

WV TURKEY THUG

letinmfly

Actually my 835 shoots 3" shells with better results then the 3.5' shells I've shot.  I settled with Winchester Supreme High Velocity #5 shells in 3".
Captain of the former Gobble Kings

ShortSpurs

From my 870SM, the 3" shells POI is 12" higher at 40 yds. than the 3.5" LB loads. Otherwise they are good!

chatterbox

Yup, they sure will!
I much prefer the 3" to the 3.5" shell, and so does my shoulder.

appalachianstruttstopper

3" out shoots 3.5 out of my mossberg 535. I am glad, feels better and cheaper! lol

tomstopper

Same as the rest of the guys say.... No problems, they will shoot just fine....

d.winsor

I shoot SX3 with Briley .665 #5 shot, Winchester supreme HV the 3" and 3 1/2" shells shoot about the same, But you can tell the difference, I would hunt with either one.

ILIKEHEVI-13

I think the patterns are dang near identical from what I can tell wehn I shoot a 3" Hevi-13 load out of my 835 and a good turkey choke vs shooting the same laod out of my 870 3" gun.  Right around the 260 mark for a norm on most loads. 

lowoctane

My 870 SM likes 3" better than 3.5", as does my shoulder!
I'm Old School...
GOD, GUTS AND GUNS
MADE AMERICA GREAT,
LET'S KEEP ALL THREE!
NRA Endowment
NAHC Life

paboxcall

I only shoot 3" through my 3.5" single shot NEF.  I fired exactly four 3.5" shells through that single shot years ago, and was black and blue from my chest down my arm.  No more of that.
A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods. Yoder409
Over time...they come to learn how little air a good yelper actually requires. ChesterCopperpot