turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

remington 870 or moss 835

Started by ky turkey hunter, March 14, 2014, 09:30:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ky turkey hunter

Need some help with a new gun I am passing my old remington down to the kid I hate to be looking for a gun when season is just 2 weeks a way but she reminded me that my grandfather give me that gun when I turned 16 and now it here turn with it so for the last 20 plus years I have not even looked at a new shotgun so any info on a new turkey gun would be appreciated

Skeeterbait

This has been debated hundreds of times on dozens of forums with no winner declared.  Fact is they are both excellent turkey guns and you won't go wrong buying either one.  Just go look and hold each and buy the one that feels best to you.

budtripp

Flip a coin. Can't go wrong with either.  I currently have an 870 but my hunting buddy has an 835 and both will slay gobblers

davisd9

Shoulder them and see which fits you better.  IMO, the best pure turkey gun is the 835, but to each his own.  Both are great guns and the ones that I would consider.
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

captin_hook

WV TURKEY THUG

never had a problem or miss with my 835 and i beat the crap out of it every turkey season. kicks like a mule though

turkey buster

I've hunted with 2 870's, 1 835, and now a 935. Both pumps were as equal in slinging lead as the other. The 935 slings it as good and being a auto the recoil feels lighter to me with 3.5's

tomstopper

appalachianstruttstopper

Either one is a great choice, I have both. I prefer either one, but I will add that Mossberg has an easier trigger group to work with than Remington if you are wanting to modify take-up.

Can't go wrong either way, both are great guns and both have super customer support if a problem arises.

Tommythreetoes

I've owned both.  Killed turkeys with both.  The 835 was a tad heavier, had a longer barrel, and had a few rattles that I didn't care for.  My 870 now has a shorter barrel, is easier to carry and patterns slightly better.  All that said, an 835 can still be a heck of a gun...870 just worked better for me.  No right or wrong answer here.  Pick the one you like and start experimenting. :z-guntootsmiley:

reflexl

I own both and either gets it done. Just my experience but my 835 with the .676 Stardot patterns better with turkey ammo. Don't overlook the BPS. Probably the best compromise out there. If waterfowl and dove hunting are on your plate as well then a BPS with a 30" and a 24" barrel woudl be hard to beat. Get a Indian Creek .665 screwed into the 30" tube and never look back. reflexl

ky turkey hunter

Thanks for the help I'll be looking at them tomorrow

beagler

My vote is for an 835. You can't beat the patterns with the Mossbergs.
Never Misses

WildSpur

I was a die hard mossberg fan.  I really like my supermag.   Imo a definite difference in quality.  These new mossbergs just feel cheap imo.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Cluck more, yelp less