turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Sandpaper / Scotch Brite

Started by Turkeyman62, March 09, 2014, 01:59:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Turkeyman62

What do you prefer when cleaning , touching up striker tips ?
A Gobbler Yelp Spring Or Fall Is A Long Conversation..

tomstopper

Scotch brite for me b/c I clean them almost every time I use them so I really never have enough build up to warrant sandpaper...

Byhalia

~ Listen to the Wind ~    http://customprocalls.com/

TnTurk

I lightly hit mine with 220 grit sandpaper. In my experience, scotch brite pads tend to smooth out and/or polish the tips of some strikers, especially dense hard woods like exotics.

allchokedup

I use Scotch Brite on my slate calls and a conditioning stone on class/crystal calls .I don't condition my calls very much, but use some alcohol pads when it needs a little touch up. It works good on my strikers too.

David

silvestris

Alcohol pads are great for all friction surfaces.  I don't use sandpaper unless I intentionally want to remove wood.
"[T]he changing environment will someday be totally and irrevocably unsuitable for the wild turkey.  Unless mankind precedes the birds in extinction, we probably will not be hunting turkeys for too much longer."  Ken Morgan, "Turkey Hunting, A One Man Game

captin_hook

Quote from: TnTurk on March 09, 2014, 02:29:16 PM
I lightly hit mine with 220 grit sandpaper. In my experience, scotch brite pads tend to smooth out and/or polish the tips of some strikers, especially dense hard woods like exotics.

+ 1

VA_Birdhunter

:agreed:

I will carry green scotch brite pads in the woods to clean them while hunting.
Philippians 4:13 I can do all things through Christ who strengthens

CT Spur Collector

WV TURKEY THUG

L.F. Cox

That's what you want for a dense exotic wood striker tip.

Gooserbat

NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.