turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Anyone hunt mountain turkeys?

Started by Turkey fryin, March 08, 2014, 10:05:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

West Augusta

North central West Virginia here.  I hunt "hill" birds.  It get's you in shape hunting them but at least it is hard for them to circle around you.  :TooFunny:
If you get lucky, you find one that roosts over the creek and you don't have to climb up after them but I usually do.  Good luck.
No trees were hurt in the sending of this message, however a large number of electrons were highly inconvenienced.

Matt81302

Not in VA, but 95% is done in the SC mountains. Some of those pictures look very similar to my hunting spots. It can be very challenging at times, but when it all comes together it is very rewarding.

Ruger M77

I hunt the mountains here in PA and also have been huntin the mountains in the Daniel Boone NF in Kentucky the last few years it's the only way I know :icon_thumright:
I eat therefore I hunt

longbeards

I hunt the Mts of WV,,,,4th generation to chase turkey,,,

With that being said,,,it is always better to be up hill from them,,,but have killed several I have called down hill..

I have found that they tend to roast in the same areas,,,rather in the mts or flat land..So with that in mind try to be where you need to be when they start gobblin,

Call them up close and shoot them in the face@ longbeads

turkey_slayer

Quote from: Vabirddog on March 08, 2014, 06:28:46 PM
Hunt a lot in the west central Blue ridge of Va. I love getting in the mountains.

Sure we didn't kill em in the same spot lol

Tommy Strutsalot

I hunt a few different areas of PA and let me tell you, tough terrain and very tough birds but wouldn't have it any other way.  Nothin like droppin the hammer on a mature PA mountain Longbeard.

turkey_slayer

Quote from: SS Calls on March 08, 2014, 06:24:31 PM
I live in Southwest Virginia, out in the sticks in a place called Moccasin Valley. We hunt the Clinch Mountain here and it's billy goat country.  :toothy12: We're in Russell county.

Al

Is that near castlewood?

WV TURKEY THUG

i hunt them here in wv. hardly any flat ground to speak of around here. i usually just walk the ridge tops and listen for gobbling in the evening then set up on them or it in the morning. i always try to stay above them. i hunt public alot of the time

turkey_slayer

Quote from: WV TURKEY THUG on March 08, 2014, 08:18:22 PM
i hunt them here in wv. hardly any flat ground to speak of around here. i usually just walk the ridge tops and listen for gobbling in the evening then set up on them or it in the morning. i always try to stay above them. i hunt public alot of the time

I've walked a lot of ground in McDowell and Wyoming counties

WV TURKEY THUG

around tyler county is were i do my hunting

turkeyfoot

I live in Southwest Virginia, out in the sticks in a place called Moccasin Valley. We hunt the Clinch Mountain here and it's billy goat country.  :toothy12: We're in Russell county.

Al

Done lot of trout fishing around Clinch Mtn. surrounding area

VA_Birdhunter

Quote from: Turkey fryin on March 08, 2014, 10:05:21 AM
I live in the southwest part of Virginia (Dickenson county) and for anyone who's been here you would know its all straight up and straight down! The turkey are thick but hard to hunt. I love it tho, It makes it harder to hunt cause you can't just circle around to any spot you want when you know where some birds are at. Your choices are very limited! That's what makes it more fun and challenging!
Just wondered if I shared the mountain birds with anyone in this great country?

Stay calm, Go turkey hunting!

Born and Raised in Dickenson County VA!!  Have killed a bunch of turkeys in those mountains!   I'vw been transferred out of state to WV with my job right now but still very close.  Will be in for 2 weeks straight for the VA season this year....just got back from there today.  Went scouting this morning...checked my camera and heard some hen talk and Gobbling this morning.

Actually I know you and your wife....and you and your wife know me and my wife!  Small world!  Check your PM!!
Philippians 4:13 I can do all things through Christ who strengthens

SS Calls

Quote from: turkey_slayer on March 08, 2014, 08:17:40 PM

Al

Is that near castlewood?

Yea, we're about 20 minutes South of Castlewood.

VA_Birdhunter

Al

Love the photos AL!!!!  Looks like home to me!!!

God Bless
Philippians 4:13 I can do all things through Christ who strengthens

lonnie sneed jr.

Been turkey hunting the Mts. 44 years, in WV and VA,  I live in  Mercer Co WV, and hunt McDowell, Pocahontas, Mingo, Wyoming, Raleigh, Monroe, and Summers WV.  Hunted and still hunt VA, Bath, Highland, Bland, Tazewell, and Giles Co.

My favored Co, in VA to hunt is Bath Co, with Bland a close 2nd. but good hunting in the other counties also. Not saying Bath and Bland are the best, just my favored. In WV Pocahontas is not the best by far but is one of my favored places to hunt. In WV Mingo and McDowell Co. might have the most turkey?
GRUE UP HERE AND LOVE IT.

:OGturkeyhead: :OGturkeyhead: