turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

What is above average @40yds with #5s?

Started by jdavenp3, March 07, 2014, 08:00:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jdavenp3

I did a one shot test a week ago but I think we are going to get some good weather here that will be in the 71-72 degree range so I can get a real pattern laid down.

When I did my one shell test I had a dirty barrel, 35 degrees, off the bead and got 165 #5 in a 10'' circle@ 40. Just wondering what would be an above average/very good pattern when I do my real tests and should I anticipate that number growing any?

Shells we the LongBeards 3.5'' #5 out of an Sx3 w/Sumtoy .675

Longshanks

100+ with 3" Pb 5's @ 40 has been one of the most difficult goals with all of my turkey guns. The Win LB's seem to make that a peice of cake. The old norm is out the window and the LB's have created a new norm. Not sure we have enough results to determine what to expect but there are some folks turning crazy numbers with these shells. 165 is great numbers provided there aren't allot of gaps in the pattern. Anytime I see golf ball size holes in the pattern or bigger I go back to the drawing board.

jdavenp3

Thanks. Just looked at my board and had two of spots where the pattern was patchy. Hopefully deep cleaning and the weather will eliminate that. Are there any steps to do other than test different shells/chokes if the pattern doesn't even out?

I don't think this Sumtoy is going to disappoint. I just needed make sure I am patterning correctly. My brothers and I had always used the "how many pellets in the bird @ X yardage as a gauge" and after last season I did a ton of reading and it seems that the universal test is "how many in 10'' @ 40yd plus a good spread into the 20'' circle".

BandedSpur

Sounds like you are on the right track. A year ago, 165/10 with 5s would have been a new world record. You are gold right now, but I'm sure the Sumtoy, a clean barrel, and some warmer temps will increase those numbers. It seems that anything from 180-200 is doable with the LBs and the right choke.

nyhunter

If I get 165 with #5's outta any of my guns I'll be doing back flips off the patterning board.. If your POA/POI is on I wouldn't be wasting any more ammo on Paper. Go smash some heads

3" 870 Shell Shucker

QuoteI had a dirty barrel, 35 degrees, off the bead and got 165 #5 in a 10'' circle@ 40.

35 Degrees is COLD.  You will probably gain 20-30 pellets at 65-70 Degrees, but 165 #5's is a Hammer.  I don't think a coyote could walk away from a head shot, much less a turkey.

jdavenp3

Ok, thanks. Seems like I have all the right steps to get the best pattern. I am not really chasing numbers but just want my gun to be as effective as possible. I gotta throw on my Mossy Oaks wrap then I will fine tune some optics. Hopefully Sunday/Monday I can do some real patterning.