OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

need ammo suggestions for my sons 12g modified h&r (Pics p2)

Started by lung, March 03, 2014, 08:44:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lung

My boy wants to hunt this year with me. He has a 12g h&r topper fixed modified barrel. I dont want to go out and buy a new gun just yet and no time to get a new barrel from HR. Figured we would try to pattern up some of the Flight control loads. Looking for suggestions, im headed out to pick some up in a couple hours. Thanks for any help/suggestions.

redarrow

Mike Honcho

I'd second that on the new Winchester Longbeard XR's, probably 6's.  My grandson shot his first tom with an H & R Youth 20 ga. fixed mod choke gun when he was nine...all we had were some high brass 6 pheasant loads.

He took him at 25 yards and the bird ran about 30 yards and piled up in some brush...I had to stand on his head but we got him!

Pattern the gun so he knows the aiming point with the shells you buy and try and keep his shots in that 25-30 yd range.

Rapscallion Vermilion

Those Topper's are fairly light weight and the Longbeard shells are 1 3/4 oz or more in 12 gauge.  Recoil would be pretty fierce.  I would look for some of the 2 3/4 inch,  1 1/4 oz Federal Heavyweights in #7.

lung

Quote from: Rapscallion Vermilion on March 03, 2014, 10:26:13 AM
Those Topper's are fairly light weight and the Longbeard shells are 1 3/4 oz or more in 12 gauge.  Recoil would be pretty fierce.  I would look for some of the 2 3/4 inch,  1 1/4 oz Federal Heavyweights in #7.

Yeah, you have a really good point. During dove season I did set him up with a nice limbsaver slip on. The gun can shoot 3" but, im going to see what they have in 2 3/4.

Thanks for the input guys.

Old Gobbler

Make sure that gun shoots point of aim , they tend to have just a bead down on the smaller diameter muzzle with the larger dia. Rear breach as the rear sighting plane - this May or may not make the gun shoot high - but your gun may shoot true

It's a small bore shotgun that's unchoked - a 30 yard shot will likely be it's utter farthest range , that in conjunction with the open bore - you might be best served shooting the smallest size shot possible

Let him shoot some dove loads , and slip magnum in there when it's time to shoot the turkey , he will be so pumped up , he won't notice a thing
:wave:  OG .....DRAMA FREE .....

-Shannon

lung

Quote from: Old Gobbler on March 03, 2014, 01:05:42 PM
Make sure that gun shoots point of aim , they tend to have just a bead down on the smaller diameter muzzle with the larger dia. Rear breach as the rear sighting plane - this May or may not make the gun shoot high - but your gun may shoot true

It's a small bore shotgun that's unchoked - a 30 yard shot will likely be it's utter farthest range , that in conjunction with the open bore - you might be best served shooting the smallest size shot possible

Let him shoot some dove loads , and slip magnum in there when it's time to shoot the turkey , he will be so pumped up , he won't notice a thing

I will give that a try. He dove hunted with me last year using this H&R, so he want hesitate to shoot them. After a few Ill get him pumped up with his performance and slip a turkey load in on him.

Went by a few stores, most of the good stuff was picked clean. I did find these, that we will pattern up soon as he is home from school. Ill report back later if the Rain clears!

Win long beard xr 3in 1.75oz 5 shot
win xtended range 3in  1.75oz 4 shot
2 boxes of Hornady HM 3in 1.5 oz 5 & 6 shot (one of these may be best)
Rem premier mag lead 3in 2oz 5 shot (left over from last year)

jblackburn

I think Mag blends have a new reduced recoil load out, might be worth checking out.
Gooserbat Games Calls Staff Member

www.gooserbatcalls.com

Genesis 27:3 - Now then, get your weapons—your quiver and bow—and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me.

lung

Quote from: jblackburn on March 03, 2014, 02:39:29 PM
I think Mag blends have a new reduced recoil load out, might be worth checking out.

Ill have to order something like that. I couldnt find any kind of 2 3/4 heavy load less than 8 or 7 1/2 shot.

jblackburn

Quote from: lung on March 03, 2014, 02:43:32 PM
Quote from: jblackburn on March 03, 2014, 02:39:29 PM

Ill have to order something like that. I couldnt find any kind of 2 3/4 heavy load less than 8 or 7 1/2 shot.

These are in the classifieds right now:

http://oldgobbler.com/Forum/index.php/topic,42046.0.html
Gooserbat Games Calls Staff Member

www.gooserbatcalls.com

Genesis 27:3 - Now then, get your weapons—your quiver and bow—and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me.

surehuntsalot

best bet is going to be with the Federal FC shells
it's not the harvest,it's the chase

darn2ten

Do yourself a favor and don't start with those Hornady loads first. You'll think something is wrong with the gun, they are without a doubt the worst patterning turkey load I have ever tried. Those Long Beard shells will probably work pretty well, and don't over look the federal FCW. They just might be the ticket in that fixed modified barrel.

lung

(guess this was not appropriate in the general forum since it was moved)

Results so far. Targets used Champion Life size turkey no.45780 (all hits are actual bird hits)

Gun did shoot low right, Kentucky windage correction.

@30 yards
3" Win Longbeard XR #5 - 27 hits
3" Hornady #5 - 11 hits
3" Hornady #6 - 31 hits
3" Win Xtended Range #4 - 37 hits
3" Remington Premier Mag #5 - 20 hits

For the money, the hornady #6 seems like the best with one shot from each. Ill do a bit more testing tomorrow.

knightrider

lung

Quote from: knightrider on March 04, 2014, 07:22:53 PM
those big ole #4 sound like the ticket to me

Yeah, your on the money with that. If I was shooting them, but I figure the #6 may give him a bit of leeway. After popping a few turkey loads today he may get a little gun shy. However he did say, I bit my tongue, can I shoot another one!

Im going to let him shoot up both boxes over the next week or two and see if they maintain that same hit count. I did all the on target hits today for eval. I didnt want to punish him ti much!! lol