OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Feed for turkeys?

Started by Bustabeak, February 28, 2014, 11:16:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bustabeak

I was wondering what you guys put out for feed during preseason? I always have corn out for deer but never seem to get any turkey pictures. What do you recommend to attract turkeys to my trail cameras?

SKFOOTER

If shelled corn doesn't work, nothing will. :OGturkeyhead:

highwaygun

stringtown

Yep use crack corn bc deer don't mow through it. Once they find it you can use chicken scratch or sunflower seeds depending on price.

bigbird

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
This is what I do also! The deer and coons eat shelled corn up fast, but cracked corn lasts longer so that's what I use!

tomstopper

Quote from: stringtown on March 01, 2014, 07:23:01 AM
Yep use crack corn bc deer don't mow through it. Once they find it you can use chicken scratch or sunflower seeds depending on price.
:agreed: I put out 50 lbs of cracked corn a week in front of my camera for the winter months up to March. You can also buy huge bags of generic birdseed once they find your feeding sight. I bet this winter it has really helped them a lot.

CASH

When I belonged to a club and put cameras up I used Millet
A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands, love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper; his hands remember the rifle.

Gamblinman

If you're just depositing it on the ground, about anything will work.

With automatic feeders on a timer, clean whole kernel corn is your best bet. Everything else I've tried has eventually stopped up..

I run 8 500 lb auto feeders year round.

Gman
"I don't hunt turkeys because I want to. I hunt turkeys because I have to."

CASH

I misspoke. Not millet, Milo
A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands, love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper; his hands remember the rifle.

ericjames

BlakeJ

In Texas it's legal, so in our spin feeders (300 pound feeders) for deer we mix in about 50-100 pounds of milo and scratch grain with our deer corn. It's great for the turks, quail, and for bird watching while you're in the bow stand. It keeps the turkeys on your property.

Then with our road feeders, we do a 50/50 mix of milo or scratch with deer corn. We run trails all over where the turkeys frequent, it also help to keep them on our property.

They'll eat whole deer corn too, but it's usually gone from the deer and pigs by the time they get there. But they can't pick up the grain. That's also why we change the feeding times from early and late to mid day once we get close to turkey season. It gives the turks a better chance to get a bunch of feed because the hogs and deer are more reluctant to come out mid day.

But we don't hunt the feeders in the spring. It's boring, they don't gobble, and you're not calling anything in. All that feeding we do is to hoard all the birds on to our property, and it works. Plus, with all that feed, there's gonna still be plenty of pigs around. Which are always some added fun.

I've heard wheat works too.

turkeygod4

I have been feeding black oil sunflower seeds for over 10 years. we use to never have multi-bearded birds. now we have tons of them. must be the protein

stringtown

Quote from: turkeygod4 on March 01, 2014, 05:04:05 PM
I have been feeding black oil sunflower seeds for over 10 years. we use to never have multi-bearded birds. now we have tons of them. must be the protein

yeah they love them once they find em and it isn't bothered by deer or coons at all from our experience.  sometimes can be harder to find than corn or scratch or even milo.

where do you get yours and what are you paying these days if you don't mind me asking. 

Bustabeak

I went with scratch feed. We'll see how it goes!

darron

In the winter months I mix whole corn and bird seed which has cracked corn sunflowers millet and wheat. In addition I scatter scratch around the feeders.  I run 3 feeders on my property and stop feeding around april 1 so I am legal. I find the scratch and bird seed to be a great draw.