turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Best portable decoys for the money??

Started by MikeStaten, February 26, 2014, 12:09:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MikeStaten

I usually just run n gun without decoys but I may use decoys this year.  I'd like them to be portable and not too bulky.  The Avian X look real nice but are $80 a piece.

Thanks,
Mike

Vabirddog

Look at the closeout/sale racks. I carry a couple old sceery blow ups. look good , work well and were 5-10bucks. There if I want them but i dont use them much, mainly when taking others, it gives them confidence to sit still.

JuniorPre 360

Quote from: Vabirddog on February 26, 2014, 12:18:41 PM
Look at the closeout/sale racks. I carry a couple old sceery blow ups. look good , work well and were 5-10bucks. There if I want them but i dont use them much, mainly when taking others, it gives them confidence to sit still.
http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/4-ultimate-turkey-decoys.aspx?a=329250 These are what I ordered from other's I had talked to. I was told that they would work just fine. I have them and seem pretty durable and I can carry all 4 in a small backpack if I wanted to.

jblackburn

I picked up a pretty boy jr last year for $20. 
Gooserbat Games Calls Staff Member

www.gooserbatcalls.com

Genesis 27:3 - Now then, get your weapons—your quiver and bow—and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me.

jblackburn

Gooserbat Games Calls Staff Member

www.gooserbatcalls.com

Genesis 27:3 - Now then, get your weapons—your quiver and bow—and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me.

bigbird

If light weight is what your after, I'd go with the tried and true feathflex! If you loose your stake you can use a branch . That used to be the standard, my how things have changed! But there is still a purpose for them!

Vabirddog

Quote from: JuniorPre 360 on February 26, 2014, 12:41:05 PM

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/4-ultimate-turkey-decoys.aspx?a=329250 These are what I ordered from other's I had talked to. I was told that they would work just fine. I have them and seem pretty durable and I can carry all 4 in a small backpack if I wanted to.

Yep, what mine look like, just hens tho, I carry a red sock piece to turn one into a jake if need be.

eddie234

I have a set from primos, my feelings on decoys are that I use them to help get a gobbler to within that 40 yard range. I know the Dsd's and xavian x's look great but at 45 50 yards does it matter? If he's close enough to see the itty bitty details he should have already been killed.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

wvlimbhanger

I have used Primos for several years.  They will meet what you are wanting to do.  But midway through last season I got a DSD Jake and WOW.  I now have 3 DSD hens to go along with the Jake.

mudhen

I've got 4 DSD's, but I like the new Zinks for traveling hunts...

mudhen
"Lighten' up Francis"  Sgt Hulka

cphill

I got a flock (2 hens and Jake) from academy there brand game winner I think for 25 buck they look pretty good and for the money I couldn't beat them I dont use decoys that much anyway

Sent from my C771 using Tapatalk 2

Tail Feathers

I think I can get another year out of my feather flex dekes.
I keep them in the truck but rarely use them.
I take them on every out of state trip because you never know what situation you'll be facing.
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

tomstopper

This is the one I bought a couple years ago from Dicks sporting goods and it works fine. Durable and cheap but a little bulky but I don't notice it when its in my game pouch.....

http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/product/index.jsp?productId=17088776&cp=4406646.4413993.4414427.12114907

TuckyBoy

Hard to beat the Avian though. I thought $80 was a hard pill to swallow as well but they're so realistic. I bought one and didn't regret it, bout to get another. Really turkey hunting doesn't cost like all my other game species anyway so why not buy a top end decoy.

Limbstrutter

Right on Tucky,  I've got all the Avain Decoys everyone I've hunted with now own one, they look so real.  The LCD Jake and the Looker hen is a killer combo big ole Tom just can't resist.
SuperX3 12Ga
SuperX3 20Ga
Mission MXB 320
Parker Tornado F4