OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

"End of the Line": Trapping pics from this past season

Started by longbeard11, February 24, 2014, 03:05:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gobbler777

For Gibson and Mincey crow calls visit CrowMart at www.crowmart.com  Turkey Guide - Maryland

longbeard11

Hopefully our efforts have saved alot of turkey's lives this year. 

JuniorPre 360

Nice! I know those bobcats will bring a nice chunk of change. Any muskrat trapping?

SS Josh

:cross2: Colossians 3:23 :cross2:

VA_Birdhunter

Philippians 4:13 I can do all things through Christ who strengthens

longbeard11

yeah junior, caught 29 muskrats this year.  No pics on here but you can check out some of our other videos on youtube and they have some muskrat catches in them. 

We had a great season and a fun time filming and making the trapping series.  Planning to do much more of this in the future for sure!

wcerin

Awesome job! Sure is some pretty country. I miss running a line. Kids in travel sports slow you down so enjoy.
"Hard work spotlights the character of people: some turn up their sleeves, some turn up their noses, & some don't turn up at all."

longbeard11

Thanks! Some of the farms we trap and turkey hunt on are just about as pretty as you can get! We love our landscape here in WV! 

Soak in all of that time with your kids playing sports that you can! Some of my best memories are when my brother and I traveled around playing AAU basketball with my dad coaching! Im very thankful for those times I got to experience and have my family there with me.  Definitely takes up alot of time and money, but its so worth it.

RutnNStrutn

Dang, I wish I had the land, and the time to do that. Looks like a lot of fun! And it's got to improve your hunting by taking out all of those predators!! :icon_thumright:

longbeard11

Most of the properties that we trap on are our own farms, but we do trap several really big farms for neighbors that give us permission.  We dont deer hunt these farms, but do get to turkey hunt them some.  Its alot of fun, takes up a lot of time too but man its worth it keeping some of these predators in check.  We have definitely seen positive results over the past few years keeping a good control of predator numbers. 

Gobble!

very cool. something i have always said I want to get into but have never done it.

longbeard11

I had never done it till this year and my buddies got me into it.  I had some very good teachers with loads of knowledge!  I really enjoyed it this year and learned alot, I will be doing it again next year for sure, just starting much earlier. 

I got started late this year and the winter was brutal, very rough to trap in!! I missed a bobcat 3 different times because he would always come in and work my set when the traps were frozen.  Like I said, I learned alot this year and I will get em next year!

spaightlabs

The ethics of blood sport require that prey be dispatched as quickly and humanely as possible.  Jacking around to get a picture with live prey smacks of cruelty.

longbeard11

I was just waiting for a negative comment, I knew all the positive comments were too good to be true lol.  We respect ever animal that we hunt and every animal that we trap.  Taking a single picture or video with an animal in a trap, that has been there for a few hours already is really not going to hurt anything.  We  want to document it in every way possible and the only true way to do that is to walk up on the animal and take a quick video or quick picture.  That animal is not harmed by sitting in that trap, its been there for a little bit anyways so a couple extra minutes isnt hurting anything. 

You have to walk up on animals in the trap anyways and inspect them and make sure their fur is fine and not rubbed.  That takes a little bit of time as well.  If you do happen to catch an animal that is rubbed really bad and you know is not good quality fur it is then your judgment call whether you want to release the animal or dispatch of it.