OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Un-stinking camo clothes

Started by SinGin, February 22, 2014, 07:24:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SinGin

I had all my camo in a sealed up bag, in a plastic tote, in my man cave and noticed they are getting quite rank! I was wondering if anyone had any ideas on how to freshen them up /without washing them\? I dont like to wash them if I can help it to keep them from fading. Anybody have any tricks that might work? Thanks Sam

T-town

Dude, wash em in baking soda and hang em out to dry. Or throw them away if you don't like the smell.

bamagtrdude

Hmm, well you could try hanging them outside & letting the air take some of the "rank" out of them.  Maybe hit 'em a time or two with some Febreeze (or some other air/fabric freshner) that has an outdoors-y smell to it - pine, if they make it, would be my first choice.

But, I've always washed my camo in cold water, and line/rack dried them afterwards.  I've still got camo I bought over a decade ago that looks nice & crisp, and I hunt effectively in them now.  The new, moisture-wicking fabrics retain their colors exceptionally well; cotton obviously fades a tad w/each wash, but my old RealTree Hardwoods & Timber patterns look awesome.
---
Bama Guitar Dude (bamagtrdude)

captpete

Without washing them about the option would be to spray liberally with some kind of scent removing spray(I prefer Scent-Killer or Dead Down Wind) and hang them outside.   I would just wash them.

Rapscallion Vermilion

I'd go ahead and wash them.  Turning them inside out first will help prevent fading.  Use a gentle detergent without UV brighteners.

MouthCaller

My cousin always told me to wash them inside out it makes them not lose their color as bad but you know turkeys can't smell so unless your worried about other people you could just go hunting stinky lol.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

Woodsman4God

Cold water wash and line dry easiest way heat from a dryer is big in breaking down the fabric in clothing which helps fade and if you still have a washer with an agitator then turning them inside out as suggested above helps protect the pattern.

Gobblerjim

Sodium bicarbonate that's all you need.

uarobert

Quote from: Rapscallion Vermilion on February 22, 2014, 10:10:15 PM
I'd go ahead and wash them.  Turning them inside out first will help prevent fading.  Use a gentle detergent without UV brighteners.

Yep, turn inside out and use cold water.

stinkpickle

I agree with everyone else.  Turn 'em inside out, wash in cold water, gentle cycle, with baking soda only, and line dry.

SinGin

Ya I may have to break down and wash them. Some of them I have had for 10 years with nothing more than a morning dew wash. Good thing is that I can just stand them up in a corner.

redarrow

Shovel full of dirt and some branches from a pine tree in the tote with the clothes.If you have a pine tree to hang then in that helps too.

Old Gobbler

I don't wash my hunting clothes ever , I also don't shave or take a bath , not until I kill a gobbler , but throughout the entire season ......

It keeps people away from me , drinking all my beer in my cooler and trying to ask me questions on where I hunt ...... People and dogs avoid me after a few days  :popcorn:

Seriously ..... Washing machines and dyers will fade clothes , I've seen them ruin face masks with one wash

You can hand wash them in the bathtub or shower with mild soap and hang to drip dry - in the shower stall , perhaps hangout side

If your a deer hunter I guess leave out the soap and use baking soda

:wave:  OG .....DRAMA FREE .....

-Shannon

eddie234

Wash them insideout with sportsmans wash in cold water, I wash mine at the end of each hunting season. By the time they fade they will have come out with a new  and improved camo pattern.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Gooserbat

Wash in cold water with 1 cup of baking soda and 1 cup of white vinegar.  you will have no visible fading and the stench will go away. 
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.