OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Info on Rem. Ventilator .655

Started by jakesdad, February 19, 2014, 08:24:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oconeeguy

Says for leadshot only on the choke.

ILIKEHEVI-13

Quote from: Oconeeguy on February 19, 2014, 09:34:39 PM

You need to read some more of my posts on this matter. 

Quackwacker NC

:agreed:I just ordered one one, waiting on it to arrive, have hevi-13 #6, mag blends and win gray box # 6's to pattern in it

scdxt

These chokes were built and designed before hevi was ever invented. That lead only is to keep some idiot from running duck loads in it.

ILIKEHEVI-13

Quote from: scdxt on February 19, 2014, 10:10:03 PM
These chokes were built and designed before hevi was ever invented. That lead only is to keep some idiot from running duck loads in it.

Thank you!

I made a post on here about this topic.  But I can't seem to find it.  Maybe you or someone else can quote my post for me and post it here. 

Some guy was asking if you could shoot Hevi-13 through a Ventilator choke? 

ILIKEHEVI-13

I found that post.  A guy was wanting to know if you could shoot htl through a Rem Super Full .665 choke.  My answer below is still the exact same answer for shooting htl through a Rem Ventilator .655 choke as well.

Ok let's stick with the facts.   I read some of what was posted above.  Now here's the truth.  That Rem Super Full choke is a .665 choke.  It was made prior to all the Hevi-Shot craze and said lead only for a reason at the time it was made.  It was to prevent shooters from using steel shot loads like duck or geese loads through it which may cause the choke to split due to the hardness of the steel shot.  I don't know the specifics of the steel used on the choke.  A lot of choke makers now use 17-4(ph) stands for pre-hardened, stainless steel.  Now I'm gonna guess that choke was either made from that or a chrome moly steel like some other chokes were made from during that time frame or some that are still made from it today.  Now can that choke fail shooting Hevi-13 loads through it?  Yes it can.  Any choke can fail shooting Hevi-13 loads through it.  The chance of it ever happening to you...well I'll just say you probably got a better chance of being hurt or killed in a car accident, getting struck by lightning, drowning or getting cancer than for that choke to ever fail while you are shooting factory loaded Hevi-13 loads through it. 

Now that's about the truth. 

Now later on Remington offered a Rem Hevi-Shot choke that was .675 at the time.  I doubt that choke was made out of any different steel than the Rem Super Full choke.   At the time the Rem Hevi-Shot .675 was made, it was thought that .675 was the ideal choke diameter for Rem Hevi-Shot loads.  It was later on that theory was later proven to not always be the case in a lot of scenarios with various Hevi-Shot loads.  Several folks now use chokes all the way down to .643 on the SSX chokes for certain guns and other choke makers make chokes from .650 all the way up to above .675 for using Hevi-Shot with.  But like I stated above that most choke makers now in this day and age are using 17-4 stainless steel to make their chokes from.  But that don't mean the old moly steel chokes won't shoot Hevi-Shot through them safely.

The Lohman Long Shot and MAD Max chokes made about during the same time will shoot Hevi-Shot and they said lead only as well on them.  Look at the old Star Dot chokes.  On the back of my package, it says lead shot only.  Now how many folks shoot Hevi-Shot through them?  I have yet to hear of one fail with them.  I don't know if they were made from moly steel or stainless steel.  But just throwing that out there.  The owner of Colonial Arms, Betty McDonald would more than likely be able to answer that question. 

Pressured Gobbler

got one one my 870 express 26" barrel and with Winchester HV #5's it will put em down at 45-50 yards... ive shot quite a few at 45 yards with this set up

Longshanks

Rem870sm/ventilator .655/ 26" bbl
*professionally polished barrel

160-170 in a 10 @ 40     Win XX 3/2/6's Pb

260-280  in a 10 @ 40     Hevi 3/2/7's

*just got Win LB's 3 and 3.5/6's. Should be a killer with the LB's.
*bought a bunch of boxes of XX when I turned my best numbers to date with Pb. (170's.) Killed a couple of turkey's at 35-40 with the XX combo. Bad medicine.

Ruger M77

I eat therefore I hunt

wvnut3

Awesome choke, it is one of my favorites. Lee

ILIKEHEVI-13

And I wanted to add something to what I left out above.  The Rem Hevi-Shot .675 choke was also made to be .010 bigger in exit diameter at the time it was made for the Rem Hevi-Shot loads to supposedly allow a little more room for the hardness of this shot going through the choke vs using the Rem Super Full .665 choke.  But Rem said that at the time the Rem Hevi-Shot .675 choke was made that optimum patterns were obtained in their tests using this .675 choke with Rem Hevi-Shot loads.  Like I said with all the current Hevi-13 loads on the market depending on the size shot used of course that is not the case anymore if it was in fact the case then. 

THattaway

I haven't gotten the results presented here with the ventilator and 26" 870 I've got. Seemed overchoked on most patterns, splotchy and inconsistent, lead 5&6s, Hevi 6s and blends, no 7s. Still playing with mine.
"Turkeys ain't nothing but big quail son."-Dad

"The truth is that no one really gives a dam how many turkeys you kill."-T

"No self respecting turkey hunter would pay $5 for a call that makes a good sound when he can buy a custom call for $80 and get the same sound."-NWiles

3" 870 Shell Shucker

QuoteI haven't gotten the results presented here with the ventilator and 26" 870 I've got.

Me either.  My barrel is 28".  My Ventilator hasn't put up big numbers with any shell.

What I have liked, is that the Ventilator throws nice even 13" 35 Yard patterns with small shot sizes like #6 and #7.5 Lead in my 870.  It seems too tight for #5's, whereas .665 seems just about right.

Hevi13 #6's shot pretty well through my Ventilator, but didn't put up huge numbers.   

jakesdad

"What I have liked, is that the Ventilator throws nice even 13" 35 Yard patterns with small shot sizes like #6 and #7.5 Lead in my 870."

This is exactly what i'm looking for in a choke.I'm more intersted in rollin heads than I am in counting holes.Real anxious to try the ventilator in my 870 when it comes and the weather warms up.

"There are turkey hunters and people who hunt turkeys.I hope I am remembered as a turkey hunter"

ILIKEHEVI-13

Guys,

A lot of the results will depend on the quality of the shells.  Find you some of the older Hevi-13 #7's and you will see what I am saying to be true.  I don't know about the new Hevi-13 loads.  But you can't fault the choke unless you know you are shooting some of the good stuff in Hevi-13.