turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Some insight for folks looking for that next new call

Started by lightsoutcalls, February 08, 2011, 12:23:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lightsoutcalls

Having built pot calls for several years, I wanted to share a little insight that many of the callmakers here are aware of, but some buyers may not be aware of.  These are things we run into frequently, and often try to make suggestions to help direct a buyer to the call that is just right for them.

All woods are not equal.  Different woods have different grain structures and different density.  The sound of a call can be SIGNIFICANTLY effected by the wood type, given all other factors in the call are the same.  For example, a pot call made of cedar and a pot call made of cocobolo that have precisely the same dimensions throughout the body of the call and with the same soundboard and surface material will not sound the same.  Why is that an issue?  Some folks want to hear a particular sound out of a call.  That same person may want a call made of a specific wood.  That particular wood may not be capable of making that sound that the buyer wants to hear. 
Another factor that influences the sound of the call is the design of the call (pot or box or trumpet, etc.).  Since I make pot calls, I will refer to some of the factors involved in building pot calls.  The thickness of the walls of the call, thickness of the bottom of the call, height and design of the pedestal (part that holds the soundboard), width of the shelf that holds the surface material, sound hole design (number, placement and size of soundholes) as well as glue used, striker used, etc. can all effect the sound of the call.  Obviously the surface material and soundboard material will effect the sound as well. 
Most experienced callmakers will know the design limitations of the calls they build and the basic sound characteristics of a number of woods well enough to make recommendations of what combinations of wood and surface material are needed to produce the sound you are looking for.  For example, if you want a call that will make great soft purrs with an open, or full sound and you love the look of cocobolo... I'm going to tell you that my pot design will not produce those sounds in cocobolo.  Does that mean that a pot made of cocobolo is incapable of making those sounds?  Not neccesarily.  It means that with my pot design, those soft, subtle, open sounds will be better obtained with a different wood.
Surface size - Some folks want a call that fits their smaller or larger hand better.  Once again, the pot design greatly effects the sound of the call.  I use primarily 3 1/2" surfaces for my calls (excluding copper, which I use 3").  My pots are built for the size of surface material I use.  Building a slate call, for example, with a 3" surface is not as easy as just turning a smaller pot.  Turning a smaller pot effects all of the inner and outer dimensions of the call.  This gets into the issue of wall thickness, bottom thickness, pedestal design....  Although the pot may look like a smaller version of the larger pot, the entire guts of the call must be altered to produce a sound that resembles its larger (call) counterpart. 

O.k.   straight to the point...
When you decide you want to have a given callmaker build you a call, please understand that most of these folks have spent countless hours in their shops working to perfect their craft.  They have often developed their knowledge of call materials and design through trial and error.   They generally have an understanding of what will work and what won't with their given call design.  This experience and knowledge is extremely beneficial in building a call that will meet your needs.  Please allow them to offer suggestions and be understanding when they try to explain that certain woods or materials just won't produce the sound you are looking for.  We, as callmakers, strive to build calls to make your hunts successful.  It may sound corny, but it is like a piece of "us" went with you on each hunt with the call we made.  We want each hunt to be memorable and successful.  That's why we might try to steer you to a different wood, surface material, etc.  We aren't just trying to avoid ordering a wood we don't have on hand or making suggestions for the sake of being "fun suckers".  I have yet to meet a callmaker that was not passionate about his craft.  When you are in the market for a new call, contact one or more of the folks that post their calls here at OG.  We have some of the best in the business as close as a PM or phone call away.   
Lights Out custom calls - what they're dying to hear!

paboxcall

Well stated.   :icon_thumright:

This thread should be considered for a sticky in our turkey calls section...just my opinion.

A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods. Yoder409
Over time...they come to learn how little air a good yelper actually requires. ChesterCopperpot

joshua

Thanks for the great calls Wendell.  You and others on this site are carrying on the tradition of call making.  Some great points you made in your post.
Turkeys are as smart as hunters make em and public land offers more classes.
George Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, he shot them.

coachmitchel

Gobblerstopper

Great post Wendell.  Very informative and some good information.

I've found that over the years, people interested in custom calls have became a lot more educated on what they want.  It makes it a lot easier to explain certain things and makes it easier to understand exactly what they want.

mossy835

Good sound advice and very informative. This is a lot different than a box store with shrink wrapped pots and boxes that look good but you do not know what you might get. I just received my first custom pot call from Pappy and thanks to PM and emails I got what I wanted and what he suggested for this wet climate in SW WA. I agree make it a sticky for us beginners.

Basser69

Sticky for sure. One of the best pieces of advise you could have given to anyone looking for a custom call.  :icon_thumright:  :z-winnersmiley:

mudhen

I can also add that strikers are really a critical part of the process.  I have found that some calls sound totally different using different strikers.

My approach is to keep a decent variety of calls & strikers around, and keep testing all of them until you find what you like.  Even then, I carry several strikers & calls with me in the field because conditions change, birds change, etc.

Good post Wendell  :)

mudhen
"Lighten' up Francis"  Sgt Hulka

big j

Awesome post!!  So lets see what you come up with for me!! I am looking for a call with some good rasp medium pitch. I hunt these Easterns here in Nashville Tennessee. I have a lot of birds so I will definitely want some different strikers with it to get some different sounds if need be.
I will let you pick the surface material just would like it to be easy to work as I am new to turkey calling though I did manage to kill 4 last year 2 to b mobile, one walked past the blind and one was a jack I called in with a Woodhaven cherry classic. But that bird was just stupid! I did call him from about 300 yards though!

So look at it like this! You are going to Tennessee to kill a hawse. You got three days to kill him. You win a million dollars. Make a call to go kill him!

You know I am not good enough to be able to tell what I would like and actually I don't care what I would like! I want something that you as a professional think the turkey would like and make it easy for an idiot like me to work.

You make it and I buy it! Will pick it up from you at the show in Nashville on Saturday!

Thanks J

Cut*N*Run

smurf

Good post Wendell.  I don't think anyone on here could have stated it any better.  Ditto to it ought to be a sticky.
If you can't stand behind our troops.  Feel free to stand in front of them.

mcgruff1533

Well said Wendell !  I'm happy to carry one of your custom calls in my vest knowing that it has your years of experience behind it's design and build.

turkey slayer

Roostem33

I'm still learning, so that was a very good read for me. Thanks!!
The thief cometh not, but for to steal, and to kill, and to destroy: I am come that they might have life, and that they might have it more abundantly.(John 10:10)

WyoHunter

If I had a dollar for every gobbler I thought I fooled I'd be well off!