OldGobbler

OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Favorite Locator Call for Evening Roosting?

Started by fenderhunt4, February 14, 2014, 05:47:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fenderhunt4

What has been your favorite sound(s) to get a bird to sound off at dusk? Also, what part of the country do you live in and what subspecies are you hunting? Thanks for the replies...

jblackburn

When I was in OK, a coyote howler was one of the best.
Gooserbat Games Calls Staff Member

www.gooserbatcalls.com

Genesis 27:3 - Now then, get your weapons—your quiver and bow—and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me.

R.W. Mackey

In the evening for Easterns, Owl or a Gobble, according to where I'm hunting. For Rios definitely
Coyote Howler anywhere.

Roy
Lone Star Gamecalls
We Talk the Talk

drum817

I'm in Western NC & the Owl hooter works GREAT!!!  I've got a TON of confidence in it!!!
"Freedom Has Never Been Free"

Rio Fan

I've had pretty good luck with a coyote howler and also gobbling.

gobbler777

For Gibson and Mincey crow calls visit CrowMart at www.crowmart.com  Turkey Guide - Maryland

BowBendr

Quote from: fenderhunt4 on February 14, 2014, 05:47:54 PM
What has been your favorite sound(s) to get a bird to sound off at dusk?

Fly-up cackle on a mouth caller.

paboxcall

Quote from: BowBendr on February 16, 2014, 12:42:47 PM
Quote from: fenderhunt4 on February 14, 2014, 05:47:54 PM
What has been your favorite sound(s) to get a bird to sound off at dusk?

Fly-up cackle on a mouth caller.

:agreed:

Followed by an owl hooter.
A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods. Yoder409
Over time...they come to learn how little air a good yelper actually requires. ChesterCopperpot

WildTigerTrout

For evening I like an owl hooter. In the early morning I like a crow call.
Deer see you and think you are a stump. The Old Gobbler sees a stump and thinks it is YOU!

Old Gobbler

Fly up cackle ..... Right at fly up time -- they sound off for that in so fla

I don't use a locator call in the morning , it gets them gobbling too soon and draws interlopers in
:wave:  OG .....DRAMA FREE .....

-Shannon

deerpoo22

Northeast PA. Last year I had phenomenal success roosting birds with the owl call. One thing I found tho is the "Who cooks for you, who cooks for yall" never worked for me. Not once. Even when I was right on top of them. The key for me was being loud, aggressive, and adding in a lot of what some people refer to as the laugh. I put birds to bed every time I went out last year doing that.

appalachianstruttstopper

Owl call for me. south-western Virginia with eastern sub-species

Devastator

Quote from: deerpoo22 on February 17, 2014, 03:13:27 AM
Northeast PA. Last year I had phenomenal success roosting birds with the owl call. One thing I found tho is the "Who cooks for you, who cooks for yall" never worked for me. Not once. Even when I was right on top of them. The key for me was being loud, aggressive, and adding in a lot of what some people refer to as the laugh. I put birds to bed every time I went out last year doing that.
Same here im from bradford county.I start out with the scream then into the laughs,works very well.

fenderhunt4

Great resposes everyone! Anyone else want to share what they use successfully?

Lefty

I live in MD and we have lots of geese.  I have a high pitched short read call that is my go to for getting stubborn birds to gobble both AM and PM.