turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

11-87 with 28" barrel

Started by arrowslanger, February 09, 2014, 11:04:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

arrowslanger

What would be a great choke and load for an 11-87 with 28" barrel?..  I got caught up on gunbroker and also purchased two guns at once....lol.   11-87 20 gauge compact also. 

arrowslanger

I forgot to add that I already have a jellyhead .660 for the 12 gauge, and a 20 gauge ssx .550

TBab

I shot an 11-87 3 inch gun with a 28in barrel last season. I had a .665 Jelly Head and shot HV Mag Blends 3 inch and was getting a consistent 190's in a 10'' circle at 40. I blew a bird down like he got hit with a mack truck at a touch over 40 last year. That cant be a bad place to start. :anim_25:
Where Lead Meets The Head
Should've had more sense than to try an call a turkey through a barbed wire fence

allaboutshooting

Quote from: arrowslanger on February 09, 2014, 11:04:27 PM
What would be a great choke and load for an 11-87 with 28" barrel?..  I got caught up on gunbroker and also purchased two guns at once....lol.   11-87 20 gauge compact also.

I currently have one with a 28" barrel and also have a 30" barrel for it. I've had a couple over the years and they both worked very well with a variety of chokes that I tried. Currently, I have a Hybrid in mine.

Since you already have the Jelly Head, I'd give it a try and see how it patterns. Any of the Hevi-Shot shells should work well for you.

Good luck with your new gun.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

budtripp

As said previously I'd shoot the chokes you already have before spending more money

arrowslanger

Thanks for the replies.......I will let you know as soon as I get a chance to shoot

wvlimbhanger

I have an 11-87 12 gauge with a 28" barrel also.

1st--Try the choke you have and see how it performs.

2nd--I shoot a Mad Max in mine and it performs well.

3rd--I shot a hevi shot tube in it and it was almost as good as the Mad Max

4th--Also tried an undertaker tube......don't waste your time.  It was awful in my gun.

arrowslanger

Winchester LongBeards XR 12 ga. 3" #6s...... 223 hits on 14x11 piece of paper with Indian Creek .665