turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

traditional bowhunting

Started by ssbond, February 09, 2014, 09:54:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ssbond

does anybody do turkey hunting with a recurve if so any basic tips for a newbe?

R.W. Mackey

Go every year, shot several birds over the 29 years I been chasing them. You could write a book
On what it takes to be successful with Trad Equip, of course not that many people would buy it.
First and foremost you gotta have patience and I don't mean sitting one hour patience, I mean sitting
All day if need be. Most people can't do this but if you want to shoot a bird with a bow, you gotta sit
For ever how long it takes.  Second get a good ground blind, something light enough you can carry
For a ways. Invest in two very good decoys, a Jake and Hen. When I mean good I'm talking DSD, best there is. Early season Gobblers will just try to destroy them. Later, they still go straight to the Jake, but you Need the hen to bring out the jealous nature of the Gobblers.
  You need to learn when to call and when to shut up and what calls to make at what time. Nothing 10 to 15 years of hunting won't teach you. Most of all it takes time and dedication, it won't be easy but when you get that 1st bird, it's all worth while. Shooting a grown Gobbler with a Recurve is the ultimate
Challenge. I'm glad you have decided to accept it.

Roy
Lone Star Gamecalls
We Talk the Talk

the Ward

You might try the  turkey bow hunting section here. Should be able to get your questions answered there. And...................... :welcomeOG:

tomstopper

Quote from: the Ward on February 10, 2014, 04:16:57 AM
You might try the  turkey bow hunting section here. Should be able to get your questions answered there. And...................... :welcomeOG:
:agreed: :welcomeOG: :wagon:

fallhnt

When I turkey hunt I use a DSD decoy