turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Tick repellant

Started by bigbird, February 06, 2014, 01:52:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bigbird

I seen a post on here a while back about a really good tick repellant and now I can't seem to find it! Any help is appreciated, thanks

wcerin

Sawyer. It is in a yellow bottle. Most WalMarts carry it.
"Hard work spotlights the character of people: some turn up their sleeves, some turn up their noses, & some don't turn up at all."

bigbird

Thank you, that was it. It was on the tip of my tongue I just couldn't remember it.

FullChoke

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.

gophert

Quote from: wcerin on February 06, 2014, 02:00:19 PM

This^^^^^^^^^^

bbcoach

With all the COLDDDDD weather we've had this winter, I'm hoping that the ticks, fleas and mosquitoes will be non existent this spring.  That is if we even have a Spring.  I agree with Fullchoke.  Permethrin is easily obtainable at most farm supply stores or on E-Bay and is cheap and highly effective.

longfield

Well bbcoach, don't get you're hopes up too much. I work in East Tennessee and my coworkers and I are outside quite a lot and two of them came back to the office with deer ticks on them yesterday.

kevin2

I never even saw a tick until a couple years ago when we came across a bunch of them while out scouting for deer.

Then last summer I got 3 bites under my arm. Woke up 3 days running with a new bite & they were awful, way more painful then any spider bite I'd ever gotten. We couldn't figure out what bit me! Then, 4th night, I woke up several times in the middle of the night thinking something was crawling on me, like a mosquito or something. Turned on the lights at one point and tried finding the mosquito to kill him, but NO mosquito. Then, felt something about 4am on my leg, grabbed it in the dark, went to the bathroom & opened my fingers to find a fat Tick!

Took it to the Drs with me the next day & treatment for lyme disease began!

Ended up on Antibiotics for a month! Little turd gave me some nasty bites!

Wear your tick spray, that is all I can say & if you come across them while scouting (which is when I'm sure I picked up mine), be sure to scour your clothing looking for them. Found 3 others last summer on our shoes and legs before coming into the house.
I am going to bag my first Turkey this spring if it is the last thing I do!

beagler

Haven't found a tick on me since I started using Sawyer's. :z-winnersmiley:
Never Misses

West Augusta

Quote from: beagler on February 06, 2014, 07:56:44 PM
Haven't found a tick on me since I started using Sawyer's. :z-winnersmiley:
X2  and refresh it every now and then.
No trees were hurt in the sending of this message, however a large number of electrons were highly inconvenienced.

bigbird

That sawyers sounds like it gets an A+ rating on here!  Thanks for all your help guys and be safe!

VA_Birdhunter

Quote from: wcerin on February 06, 2014, 02:00:19 PM

Thats what I use!! Good stuff...I won't go to the Northwoods grouse hunting without it!
Philippians 4:13 I can do all things through Christ who strengthens

VA_Birdhunter

Quote from: bbcoach on February 06, 2014, 03:23:45 PM
With all the COLDDDDD weather we've had this winter, I'm hoping that the ticks, fleas and mosquitoes will be non existent this spring.  That is if we even have a Spring.  I agree with Fullchoke.  Permethrin is easily obtainable at most farm supply stores or on E-Bay and is cheap and highly effective.

Or there going to come back with a vengeance!! I hate those little bugs!
Philippians 4:13 I can do all things through Christ who strengthens

Tail Feathers

Forgot to treat my hunting camo with Permethrin last year, got over 24 tick bites and picked another two dozen off me on a trip to KS and OK. 
Forgetting permethrin is a mistake I WON'T make again.
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

FullChoke

I have used Sawyers for many seasons in the past and have no complaints about its effectiveness at all. It works. This year I'm going the Permethrin concentrate/dilution/soaking route. I have confidence that my pants and shirts will continue to be a tick graveyard. I'll still carry Thermacell for the airborne assault squad.

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.