turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

What Shell?

Started by StrutStopper_71, February 04, 2014, 09:31:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

StrutStopper_71

Okay looking for a little advice on what shell to shoot. I have an 835 with a .676 star dot choke.
I was planning on shooting hevi #7's  2 1/4 oz , but with all this talk of new batches and new wads has me a little worried. I was planning on ordering these shells at the end of the week, and the talk of the new Winchester shells is making me rethink. If I were to try the win's what size shot would be better with this set up? Also is it getting a little to late to order from Nitro or not I know they get slammed the closer it gets to turkey season. What are everyone's thoughts for this setup I have.

knightrider

Punisher

If you can't find the #5s then try the #4s.  I am shooting a 28" Win. SX2 with a Trulock .680 choke and averaging right around 130/10" with the Win. LB 3 1/2" #4s.  I also have a 22" Win. 1300 with an IC .660 shooting the 3" Win. LB #4s and averaging right around 110/10".  Plenty adequate patterns as long as the shots aren't stretched much past 40 yds. (as they shouldn't be).

SCDieselDawg

Winchester LongBeards.  :OGturkeyhead:

drum817

Either Win LB 6's or 5's .... I spoke to nitro today and they are only two weeks backoredered at this point.  If you want HTL you could have it in PLENTY of time...but I'd call them this week!!!
"Freedom Has Never Been Free"

surehuntsalot

don't know if you have tried them yet,but the Winchester XX magnums and the black HV shells  do very well in my 835 with my stardot choke
it's not the harvest,it's the chase

owlhoot

federal strut shocks, 5 or 4 might be good, triple plus wad, if still available. The few 835 or 935 and stardot combo's. All 6 of them that my friends had shot grand slam loads  (3 1/2" 2 oz. 5's) at 130-140 in the ten.

RAY

I can't seem to stray away from Winchester Supremes (black shell) 3.5" copper plated #5's. I've had great results from others, but these are the top performers out of my 835 Ulti-Mag.

StrutStopper_71

I shot the black shell's in #5's last year with the mossy choke that came with the gun and have not patterned it with the stardot yet. I shoot hevi #6's in my win 1300 with a jellyhead. But I really like my mossy so I think I'm going to give the longbeards a try!

Thanks for all the suggestions!  :OGturkeyhead:

surehuntsalot

those black Winchester shells ought to be great in the stardot
it's not the harvest,it's the chase