OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

New Old Turkey gun Winchester NWTF 1300 Short

Started by ahfox16, February 02, 2014, 09:45:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ahfox16

Found this the other day and was smitten.  I'm not sure it was ever fired as I can't find any evidence of it on the breechface or where shells have been loaded from underneath.  It came with the original factory turkey choke which appears to have a constriction of .665 based on my digital calipers.  I also picked up a Gobblin Thunder Kicks in .655 from a member here and have a Pure Gold in .660 headed my way from another member here.

Any recommendations on what might work best for the Winchester Longbeard in size 5?

PS.  Sucker is going to rock when fired.  Weight on my digital scale is  6 lb 7 oz counting the choke tube.  Thank goodness I have a lead sled.

Hooks' n' Beards'

i own 2 1300's and they don't kick that bad.They are great turkey guns for sure.Nice find,i almost bought my 3rd yesterday but picked up a 20 gauge pump instead.I shoot winchester supreme 3"#5's out of it with Undertaker chokes....I have no problem laying those toms down...

owlhoot

nice, wish i could talk a buddy out of his win cam ,engraved receiver, I think he has the complete collection of turkey 1300's.

Also just replace that old pad with a limbsaver or the like.  Big difference.

paboxcall

Quote from: owlhoot on February 02, 2014, 10:22:13 AM
Also just replace that old pad with a limbsaver or the like.  Big difference.

I have the exact 1300, and did exactly what owlhoot suggested replacing the recoil pad with a limbsaver and it helped a lot.  This little gun with the synthetic stock does kick like a mad mule, no two ways about it.

I used to shoot the Winchester Supreme 2 oz. #5 through a Hastings .660.  That patterned very well.  If you're looking for suggestions for lead, I would think the new Winchester Longbeard would be my first choice through the PG .660 you have coming.  Post a picture of the pattern when you do your testing.

Congrats on the new 1300 - I too was smitten when I saw it sitting on the rack all decked out in Mossy Oak New Breakup...I knew I had to have one.  Light, easy to carry, mine has the 21" barrel, points nicely, and patterns great.  The stock turkey choke that came with mine mic'd at .666 using a calibrated mic.  It patterned pretty well, but now I run the Hevi 13 straight 7s through a Jellyhead .660 with the 1300.

Good luck with it, its a game-getter for sure.

:drool:
A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods. Yoder409
Over time...they come to learn how little air a good yelper actually requires. ChesterCopperpot

paboxcall

Forgot to mention - Winchester called t,his their "Buck / Tom Edition," and shipped the 1300 from the factory with the ported turkey choke you mentioned and a rifled choke tube as well.  Don't know if you got the rifled choke tube when you purchased yours. 

I don't shoot slugs through my 1300 as I have a rifled barrel topped with a 4x for my Ithaca Featherweight, so I have no idea how well a rifled choke tube groups slugs at 100 yards.
A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods. Yoder409
Over time...they come to learn how little air a good yelper actually requires. ChesterCopperpot

drum817

"Freedom Has Never Been Free"

eddie234

I love my 1300, when you shoot at a turkey you can't feel the kick at all. Lol

Gold Spur

Woo Pig Sooie!!!

beagler

Never Misses

ahfox16

Thanks guys.  Just went on line and ordered a limbsaver recoil pad for it.  Got something new to play with whenever the weather improves.  Anyone know if Dicks Sporting goods is going to carry the new Winchester Longbeard ammo?

drum817

You'll LOVE the limbsaver!!!  .....not sure about Dicks.
"Freedom Has Never Been Free"

owlhoot

Not sure , but cabelas and bass pro have them.

rempumpman

:dancingturkey:

One sweet find right there! congrats; hope that many hunting memories are made with that one; keep us posted on your success with it! come on spring................ :z-guntootsmiley:

:happyshake:
God has always provided the tree, but you never read where he built the nest.

WildSpur

Oh don't worry you will feel her!  That speed pump system they have will make you kick your own butt!  I have one and we have an on and off relationship.   You won't find a quieter (slide does not rattle) and easy maneuvering gun out there though.   Nice find.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Cluck more, yelp less

surehuntsalot

it's not the harvest,it's the chase