OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Rem 870/ kicks .655, .660/ Win Longbeard 3"

Started by Longshanks, January 28, 2014, 08:16:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Longshanks

Have two Rem 870's 21" and 28" barrels. Found the Kicks .655 to shoot Win XX and HV 6's the best and the kicks .660 to shoot Win XX and HV 5's the best. What would you guys recommend with the new Win Longbeard shells in 3" for these set ups. Also have an Indian Creek .665 and a Hastings Non-ported .665. Longbeard 4's, 5's, 6's? What chokes? Barrels?
   There is a wealth of knowledge on this website. Curious to get y'all's thoughts before I go out and buy 4's, 5's, and 6's.

R AJ

Can't say what any will do in your set ups for certain but 5s and 6s are my choice in the LB XRs.

I have some 6s in hand but will be awhile before any 5s come my way it seems.

Longshanks

From what I can gather about the shot-lock system it is a resin that holds the pattern together longer. I've heard they like a more open choke. I'm wondering if a non ported choke would work better than a ported wad stripping choke such as Kicks.
   Some of these patterns I have seen with 4's have made me strongly consider giving them a try. These Win Longbeard shells seem to be a game changer.

R AJ

I would certainly feel that any ported choke will fill up pretty soon with the resin chips and residue a sit goes by the wad cutters or ports. I am also thinking about buildup inside grooves in non ported chokes. If they perform well enough I'll be glad to occasionally give it  a cleaning or two.

This will be an interesting shell to follow up on no doubt.

trkehunr93

I wouldm't hesitate to try the 4's.  I know that 4's prefer a little more open choke.  If you go with the 5's the .660 range should be good.

klemsontigers7

My Stoeger M3500 liked the .655 Tightwad choke the best.  I tested XXX Full Comp-n-choke, Kicks, Rhino, and Truglo.

Longshanks

Thanks guys, I guess I will start with the 6's out of the Kicks .655, 5's out of the Kicks .660, and 4's out of the Hastings non-ported .665. Trick now will be finding them. Cabelas is the only place I have seen them and they are now on back order.

Hooksnhorns

Longshanks, I picked up a box of 3-1/2" 5s at Bass Pro. Ya may can order them from there. I'm anxious to see how they do for you in those two barrels w/ those chokes. Good luck brother!!
Don't Tread On Me

Longshanks

Found some 3" longbeard 6's locally and avoiding paying shipping..fired up and waiting on a decent day to pattern. Looking for 3" 5's now. Im hoping the Win Longbeards not going to be like the Turkey Thug shells. Those things were hard to find after a short period of time and disappeared all together.

SCDieselDawg

Quote from: Longshanks on February 01, 2014, 01:51:31 PM
Thanks guys, I guess I will start with the 6's out of the Kicks .655, 5's out of the Kicks .660, and 4's out of the Hastings non-ported .665. Trick now will be finding them. Cabelas is the only place I have seen them and they are now on back order.

Run one of those 4s trough that .655!  I ran a 3.5" LB 4 through a .670 kicks in my Mossberg 935 and it was impressive.

sbraham

I put the 3.5" #5s thru my 870 SM with kick's .665 this wknd at 40 yards. Simply amazing pattern. Never seen anything like it before

nickp

Ditto to the #5's.  I haven't tried the 4's or 6's, but the 5's through my 28" 870 Express 3.5" with a .665 Jellyhead landed pellets extremely close to Hevi-6's in the 10.  For $24 a box, it will be tough to buy more htl after I run out.  That being said, only the bird will tell the tale for that decision.   :z-winnersmiley:

Longshanks

Found 3 boxes of 3" 6's. Gonna have to go with the 6's.  Waiting on some weather to shoot. Rain and 30's around here, the chances I've had to shoot.  Still searching for 3" 5's.  Anyone shot the 3" 5's yet?

The results I have seen with the 3.5 5's and 6's are impressive. Rem 870 wingmasters I have only shoot the 3".

shuey270

Just got some 4's to try but 20 degrees is a bit chilly!

d.winsor

I have 2 870's one short barrel 3" and one long barrel 3.5".  I use Winchester Supreme (black shell) #5 out of both with a .665 Briley straight rifle choke.  The patterns are awsesom, no turkey would walk thru it.  I just got a SX3 and it came with a .655 choke (They have three sizes that come new with SX3) I ordered a Briley .665 straight rifle choke, I have not patterned it yet but will pattern it with Winchester Supreme #5 and Winchester Long Beard #5.  I recently read somewhere that #5 shot is best used with .660 to .670