turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

How early do turkeys respnd to locator calls

Started by Throw Back, January 27, 2014, 08:22:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Throw Back

I heard they won't work in the fall, so when do they start to work.  I want to get out and start scouting this month

Gamblinman

When they begin to gobble consistently in the mornings.

Gman
"I don't hunt turkeys because I want to. I hunt turkeys because I have to."

bigbird

Depends on what part of the states your in! Southern indiana where I'm from if it's an average spring temp wise they start in early to mid march, but to answer your question first week in April I'd say.

TRKYHTR

RIP Marvin Robbins

[img]http://i261.photobuck

socalturkeyman

Joe's right about our neck of the woods,but mine is a bit further south. Which more likely to happen pretty early every year sine we almost never get rain. But I would start scouting areas two weeks before the season starts if I were you.
A shot not taken,is a shot missed!
Juan Galindo-Last Light Taxidermy

VaTuRkStOmPeR

There's no need to harass them.

Just sit there and listen; they'll tell you what you need to know when they are ready.

Too many novices running around the woods these days watching too many hunting TV shows.

Gobblerjim

Quote from: VaTuRkStOmPeR on January 28, 2014, 10:34:36 AM

Just sit there and listen; they'll tell you what you need to know when they are ready.

Too many novices running around the woods these days watching too many hunting TV shows.
X2

Throw Back

only ever seen one hunting show.  I don't much like watching things get killed on tv.  Just trying to maximize my limited scouting time.

maybe its because I am a novice, but I don't think an owl hoot once in the morning a couple weeks before season is harassing them.  But I will take it easy out there.

surehuntsalot

Amen to that
  If you listen close enough,they will tell you everything you need to know.
it's not the harvest,it's the chase

Jay

Don't know where you are from, but Midwest nothing much happens till usually latter March depending on our Winter. I usually start scouting about a month prior to the opening date to be effective at all.

jakesdad

Quote from: Jay on January 29, 2014, 03:20:01 PM
Don't know where you are from, but Midwest nothing much happens till usually latter March depending on our Winter. I usually start scouting about a month prior to the opening date to be effective at all.

^^^^Same for me^^^^

"There are turkey hunters and people who hunt turkeys.I hope I am remembered as a turkey hunter"

turkeyfoot

Where I hunt in mountains usually get consistent gobbles around 20 of March

RutnNStrutn

Quote from: TRKYHTR on January 27, 2014, 11:35:33 PM
They started here already.
TRKYHTR
Same thing in Florida. I've already seen strutters following hens.