OldGobbler

OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Win LB XR looks Phenominal...Anyone Still interested in Fed Turkey Thugs?

Started by 3" 870 Shell Shucker, January 19, 2014, 05:42:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

3" 870 Shell Shucker

Now that 3.5" Win LB XR patterns are being posted in the 200-250 range, will that kill most people's interest in the Federal Turkey Thugs?  I was hoping to see the Thugs available again this year at Wal-Mart, but I know that most people will go ga-ga over this new load from Win.  I am blown away by how tight the patterns are.

outdoors

THE PRICE ISN'T THAT BAD FOR WHAT U WILL GET ??????
I THINK THE TERRAIN IS GOING TO PLAY A BIG ROLE IN THE DECISION .....
Sun Shine State { Osceola }
http://m.myfwc.com/media/4132227/turkeyhuntnoquota.jpg

noisy box call that seems to sound like a flock of juvenile hens pecking their way through a wheat field

SCDieselDawg

Ive got several boxes stashed away. I'm still going to use them along and about.

ericjames

I will still be shooting the thugs.. If I run out in a few years,I will stay shooting one of my boxes of the old blue and gold federal. I still have about 6 boxes left..

Philippe

I will test them, but it will take a lot for those shells to beat then numbers I get from the Thugs.

3" 870 Shell Shucker

We already have pictures of patterns in the 210 to 250 range with 3.5" #6 Win LB XR Lead at 40 Yards.  That's beyond any Lead numbers I've ever heard of, much less seen.

Many people thought the Federal Turkey Thugs were awesome, and I still do.  But the Win LB XR appears to be a total game changer for Lead loads. 

"I see Win Long Beard as being a replacement for HTL loads; not the Thug loads, which are still a great Lead load".

3" 870 Shell Shucker

bigbird

I ordered two boxes of the 3 inch,one in 4's the other 6's. Got my son a new gun this year and we're trying to figure out a good combo for him. With what we've seen and read on here and other places were both really excited about the shells and They can't get here quick enough so we can put it on paper and see how they do.

outdoors

BIGBIRD ,

WHERE U GET'M , I WENT TO  CABELAS AND THEYE WHERE SOLD OUT OF 3" ?  THANKS
Sun Shine State { Osceola }
http://m.myfwc.com/media/4132227/turkeyhuntnoquota.jpg

noisy box call that seems to sound like a flock of juvenile hens pecking their way through a wheat field

nyhunter

I'll be interesting to see how many switch from the over priced HTL shell's. With the number these shell's are putting up there's no need to pay all that extra money for high numbers and dens patterns. You'll get that with these shell's, and save some money. None of us have any need to shot a turkey past 40yds so the kinetic energy and penetration will be more than enough . 
Maybe it'll put the squeeze on the HLT company's and the'll lower there price's.

alloutdoors

Quote from: nyhunter on January 20, 2014, 11:00:30 AM
I'll be interesting to see how many switch from the over priced HTL shell's.

If HTL shells were truly way overpriced you would be able to buy the components and load your own for much less. Go ahead, ask some of the hand loaders how much money they are saving... Frankly, it's surprising the shells don't cost more when you realize these are companies that need to make a profit.

I don't disagree that HTL is probably overkill when keeping shots inside 40 and using a 12ga. But that was true before these shells, and people chose to shoot HTL anyway. If they bring this load to the 20ga, then things might get interesting.

chatterbox

Personally, I will not change. I like my HTL, and I have plenty for many, many years.

surehuntsalot

I will shoot the Thugs,excellent patterns,2 of these shells for the price of 1 of the winchester,dead is dead turkeys don't wear bullet proof vest.
it's not the harvest,it's the chase

nyhunter

turkeys don't wear bullet proof vest.
:OGturkeyhead: There wear helmets tho

3" 870 Shell Shucker

I checked my local Wal-Mart today.  None of the new Turkey stuff was in stock yet.

But the leftover Wichester Supreme HV 3.5" shells from last year were marked $14 per box.

I hope Federal makes the Turkey Thugs again this year.