turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Fanning

Started by seb5315, January 17, 2014, 10:37:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

seb5315

I thought this was an interesting article and wanted to see what everyones opinion on OG was.  How does everyone feel about "fanning" for a hunting technique? 

http://www.realtree.com/hunting/realtree-hunting-blogs/turkey-blog/turkey-camp-debate-belly-crawling-fanning-or-just-calling

budtripp

Just another tool in the toolbox, although I probably wouldn't attempt it on public land  :fud:

Gooserbat

Quote from: budtripp on January 17, 2014, 01:07:25 PM
Just another tool in the toolbox, although I probably wouldn't attempt it on public land  :fud:

X2!
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

R AJ

I saw a couple of shows where they fanned and sneaked in  or else had birds come right at them. I may be all wet but I don't think these birds down in S. Alabama will fall for that tactic. In fact I'm not even going to try it myself.

I've got birds that last year learned how not to talk and that was a killer for me. Who ever wrote "Silence Is Golden" was not a turkey hunter.That fan may work good on keeping mosquitoes at bay and cooling off so I will at least have a comeback if another hunter asks me what I'm doing walking around with a fan in my hand. :camohat:

spaightlabs

Works like crazy at certain times.  We've had to shoot birds in self defense that were at full sprint 5 yards out, and have crouch-crawled across a couple hundred yards of short alfalfa behind one to get within shooting range.

gob09

haha wish i could read the link my puter says restricted content but i think i know what it says

jblackburn

I've used it a few times.  Can be very effective!
Gooserbat Games Calls Staff Member

www.gooserbatcalls.com

Genesis 27:3 - Now then, get your weapons—your quiver and bow—and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me.

guesswho

Not my definition of turkey hunting.  So it will never cross my mind to attempt that.  Notice I said not "My".   

If someone is comfortable with the safety issues and want to try it, knock yourself out.  But don't ask me to help remove pellets from you cheek bones.   And remember, nature has a way of weeding out certain traits.
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

VA_Birdhunter

Quote from: guesswho on January 17, 2014, 06:18:18 PM
Not my definition of turkey hunting.  So it will never cross my mind to attempt that.  Notice I said not "My".   

If someone is comfortable with the safety issues and want to try it, knock yourself out.  But don't ask me to help remove pellets from you cheek bones.   And remember, nature has a way of weeding out certain traits.

I agree guesswho not "mine" either.

God Bless
Philippians 4:13 I can do all things through Christ who strengthens

chatterbox

Quote from: guesswho on January 17, 2014, 06:18:18 PM

I'm with Ronnie as well. Too dangerous for me, and too many other tactics work just as well.

Drthorn

never tried it and probably never will...I hunt in KY so usually a lot of hardwoods hunting and not a lot of big open fields.

Old Gobbler

There was a flurry of YouTube videos a few years ago , they seem to have always originated by some younger types , I won't knock the way another man hunts , but it's simply not my cup of tea - the whole concept to hanging onto a literal target is too risky - perhaps they hunt in a place where they have all the turkeys to themselves , and it is viable , but in the south this is far from the case and would be a great way for my wife to cash in on my life insurance policy 
:wave:  OG .....DRAMA FREE .....

-Shannon

drenalinld

Watched a show on Outdoor channel where Waddell called one up with a fan in front of his face. The gobbler walked right by Bone Collector standing upright with fan in front of his face to his ultimate demise. Crazy stuff.

GobbleNut

I'm pretty much a purist at heart when it comes to spring gobbler hunting.  I like to kill my gobblers by calling to them and having them come to that calling.
...However, there is nothing that satisfies me more than having a hung-up gobbler on a private property I can't hunt,...and especially on a property where the owners do not allow any hunting,...and getting them to come off of that property by waving a fan at them.  Smacking one of those birds just makes my day!   ;D
...Safety first, though!

drenalinld

You just made my day, Jim!!!