Started by Old Gobbler, December 15, 2013, 06:37:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yes or No

Multi bearded allowed
Multi bearded not allowed

Gooserbat

Only if P&Y deductions are in place.  lol
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

neverstopchasin

yeah allow them but call also bs on the measurements people put on here giving an extra 1/4 inch on spurs. if it ain't measured correct remove the bird from their team score.

RutnNStrutn

Quote from: davisd9 on December 15, 2013, 08:24:03 PMYES!!! Why punish someone for killing a unique bird. If we do not count all the birds then it looks like we are giving out participation trophies.
:agreed: :icon_thumright:
Personally, I've never killed a multi-beard, but I've been on several hunts where friends I hunted with did. So yes, everyone certainly has an opportunity to kill one. I'd hate to kill my first only to have him not be counted.

rafsobbob

Yes unless they are team  ;D

Let the count down begin until opening day
My Grace Card "I promise to pray for you everyday, ask for your forgiveness, grant you the same, and be your friend ............... forever"

GobbleNut

Quote from: alloutdoors on December 15, 2013, 07:45:58 PM
It would be nice to hear some opinions on both sides of this. I don't lean strongly one way or the other on this one, but at the moment I'm slightly in favor of just leaving it how it is (meaning count the multi-beards).

My reasons:

1. This contest is supposed to just be for fun. There are no prizes. It doesn't actually matter who wins. If anyone feels that winning or losing in this contest is actually some kind of reflection on their skill as a turkey hunter, I feel bad for them.

2. Multiple bearded birds add some excitement. One awesome bird can really swing things for your team and it means just about anyone is in the hunt right until the end.

3. I think the only reason to not count multiple beards is in an effort to make things "fair", but the truth is that it would probably be impossible to ever make this contest truly fair. Is it "fair" if a bunch of guys from Iowa all get together and make a team where every member can shoot corn fed midwest gobblers that all weigh 26lbs or more? How about a team from the south where guys shoot birds with 11 and 12" beards fairly regularly, vs us guys in the northeast where beards over 10" are a rarity because of the winter snows and rocky terrain? Same goes for spurs with birds from sandy lowlands vs mountain birds. Then there is the issue of the guy who can't afford to travel and who lives in a state with a 1 bird limit vs the guy who lives in a state where he can shoot 4 or 5 birds or who travels and may have the chance to shoot 10 or more birds a year (with 10 or more chances to upgrade). Frankly, I don't have a problem with it the way it is now, but if it is fairness that we want to address there is a lot more to consider than just multiple beards.

I'm withholding my vote for the time being. I would really like to see some other opinions either for or against.

I agree with this assessment entirely.  However, there is one way to make the contest fair to everybody, and that is to have a random drawing of team members every year.  That way, the outcome is based on random luck-of-the-draw rather than hand-picked teams that, in essence, determine the winner before the contest ever begins.

longspur

It sounds like some may interpret the poll to say not to count the bird at all. I think it says to count only the longest beard. My vote is to count them all. If my team was winning on the last day and somebody beat us out with a multi-beard I would be happy for the guy or gal. If somebody can win the super bowl on a bs penalty or fumble or a pass that was tipped in the air 4 or 5 times surely we could win a turkey contest by killing a multi-beard.

gophert

I think we should also get bonus points for shooting a bird over 60 Yrds... :funnyturkey:

Just kidding, Just kidding... :goofball:

Yes, If I ever kill one of those mutant birds I want it counted. 

guesswho

I say only count multi-beards if they have more than one beard.   
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

JW

I have harvested well over 100 birds - notes say only 3 had an extra beard.

to get a crack at one is unique - a trophy to most. Most times it is not known until after you look. Shot a 10 " double beard once and didn't realize it until the person helping me weigh the bird found it. I was more impressed with the spurs..... :funnyturkey:

Yes it should be allowed.
Yes it can be put in its own category but is scored the using the NTWF calculator and becomes part of the teams total score.

The contest is for fun - do think people are losing sight of this.

Hayudog

Yep.. I agree with the one bird making a huge swing theory. Count them all.

Drthorn

savduck

I fine with letting all multiple beards count.

Georgia Boy

GobbleNut

Gobblers that have extra beards are genetic mutants and therefore should have points deducted from their score.  I say we score 'em based on the primary beard and then deduct the extra beard lengths from the score.... :funnyturkey:  :z-winnersmiley: :funnyturkey:

anthonyjhallen

Gamblinman

"I don't hunt turkeys because I want to. I hunt turkeys because I have to."