OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

SBE 2 & Mag Blend 5,6 &7 with Jelly Head

Started by wernerjd, December 01, 2013, 02:28:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wernerjd

The above gun is what I have been shooting for year with great luck until the last few times out. I picked up a box of 3.5" Mega blend 5,6 & 7's and was wondering if anyone has this set up and what can I expect for hits in a 10" circle. I know each gun shoots different but was looking for a ball park. Also I will shoot a couple this spring when it warms up.

allaboutshooting

Quote from: wernerjd on December 01, 2013, 02:28:29 PM
The above gun is what I have been shooting for year with great luck until the last few times out. I picked up a box of 3.5" Mega blend 5,6 & 7's and was wondering if anyone has this set up and what can I expect for hits in a 10" circle. I know each gun shoots different but was looking for a ball park. Also I will shoot a couple this spring when it warms up.

I did some work for a reader last year with his 26" Benelli M2 barrel. That barrel would have the same interior geometry as your SBEII. I shot MB, straight #6 and straight #7 shot, all 3" of course through several chokes, including a JH.

It averaged 116 with the MB but with several gaps larger than 2", 213 with #7 shot and 110 with #6 shot and they also had several gaps over 2".

Shot tended to be clumpy with all the shots through the JH but if you hit a turkey with any one of those clumps, there's no doubt he'd be a dead bird.

He sent me a variety of chokes to evaluate with those loads and most were somewhat better as far a evenness of the patterns and most had some higher numbers as well.

All shots were taken in cool weather, in October, that would mimic the temperatures in which he'd probably be hunting in either the fall or spring. I'm sure numbers and patterns would be better in warmer weather but he was interested in very realistic hunting numbers.

I hope that helps some.

Thanks,
Clark

"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

wernerjd

Would the Indian Creek give any advantage over the Jelly Head in your opinion? I just don't want to spend $90 on a choke tube if there's no benefit.

gobblingghost

Call William at sumtoy he has of the best customer service. I shot several chokes till I found what like best.

allaboutshooting

Quote from: wernerjd on December 01, 2013, 08:50:01 PM
Would the Indian Creek give any advantage over the Jelly Head in your opinion? I just don't want to spend $90 on a choke tube if there's no benefit.

The Rob Roberts .650 and the Wright's .650 did best with all the shells I shot as far as numbers. He sent me an SSX that did the best as far as even patterns with the MB shells.

So, the chokes that did best were all in the .640 to .650 range even though they had quite different internal geometries.

Thanks,
Clark

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."