OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Gopro or other cameras

Started by USMC0331, September 04, 2013, 08:07:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

USMC0331

Has anyone used a Gopro camera for turkey hunting? If so what do you think about it ? Looking to get a small camera to mount on shotgun or on my head to video a hunt. If you have any other suggestions please let me know.Thanks!

alloutdoors

It's a great camera, but you really need to get it close to the action to get the best video. If you mount it to your gun and try to use it as the primary camera, you are going to just get video of you shooting at little black dots (if you can see the birds at all). That's fine if your mixing it with footage from another camera, but if it's all you have it's not going to be what most people would consider to be compelling video. If you don't already have a more traditional handheld camcorder I would start there and then think about adding a GoPro further down the line.

Here's one of the things I like to do with mine: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q0RFZR6t1Ow (GoPro footage starts at about 2:30)

USMC0331

Thanks for the info and nice video!

MKMGOBL

That's how I plan to use mine when it's not on my Capture Your Hunt gun mount ;)
"Luck Happens When Preparation Meets Opportunity"

Old Gobbler

I have a gopro3 I'm thinking of getting one of the zoom lens that people sell from eBay - any of you guys know anything about these units ?
:wave:  OG .....DRAMA FREE .....

-Shannon

Gobblerjim

Nice video. We got 4 gopros going and a video cam going on our hunt this year. Should get some good footage.
We figure;
1. On decoy
2. On hunter
3. On caller
4. No idea
An main cam right on bird

kevin2

I like the gopro for what you are thinking of using it for. However, for the pain in the rearend it is to set up & the expense of it all, the footage is very bumpy. It will make you dizzy watching the footage while editing, that is for sure. As for using the gopro for confined areas, like the inside of a blind, it is OK, but I'd use a standard camera for that too. The super wide angle footage it produces isn't my favorite. With that said, it has a place in action photography.
I am going to bag my first Turkey this spring if it is the last thing I do!

zelmo1

Try campbellcameras.com if you really want to get great video. Al Baker

gobbler777

You better look at Tactacam. IMO Better than Go Pro if you are trying to video an animal hitting the dirt.
For Gibson and Mincey crow calls visit CrowMart at www.crowmart.com  Turkey Guide - Maryland

Ishi

Quote from: gobbler777 on March 28, 2015, 07:48:58 PM
You better look at Tactacam. IMO Better than Go Pro if you are trying to video an animal hitting the dirt.
[/quote This year my new toy is a Tactacam. My buddy has one and he really likes it and the videos are very good. It will be on my bow and they make a neat mount for guns. Check out there website.
The Spirit Lives On

Harper801

I brought a Tactacam for my filming.  Filmed one turkey hunt so far and was very impressed with the video quality. It's mounted on my scope. It does not have the fish eye lens so what you see is what you get. Twenty yards is twenty yards.  I love it. Check out their website.  You won't be disappointed.

Timmer

My wife got me a GoPro4 Silver for Christmas.  I've been playing around with it quite a bit.  A couple of thoughts.  The wide angle has turned people off in the past because everything seems further away.  With the newer models you can now choose narrow, medium, or wide for most resolutions.   GoPro has tons of accessories, and you know for sure that they are still going to be in business a couple of years.  After testing various scenarios, I will NOT be using a gun mount because I think I would miss a good share of the action.  Either a stake mount or head mount will ensure I get the turkey coming in, not just the shot. 
Timmer

All of the tools, some of the skills!

ridgerunner

I have the GoPro Hero cam  one of the first ones...how are you guys controlling your GoPro remotely? Even when I had it on me hunting I had to check it constantly to make sure it was recording..or make sure battery was ok..to me it's a pain in the butt..I'd rather just use a video cam myself...In fact, I have a GoPro barely used, accessories etc...I'd probably trade , or sell if someone wants it.

Timmer

Quote from: ridgerunner on April 01, 2015, 07:11:00 PM
I have the GoPro Hero cam  one of the first ones...how are you guys controlling your GoPro remotely? Even when I had it on me hunting I had to check it constantly to make sure it was recording..or make sure battery was ok..

You can purchase a remote or use a free app on your phone.  I haven't used a remote but from my phone I can power it up (with wi-fi on which drains battery), view what it's pointed at, start/stop recording, and change settings.
Timmer

All of the tools, some of the skills!