turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Questions about an 11-87 shotgun

Started by Songdog2012, June 25, 2013, 09:09:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Songdog2012

Hello, i would like to start out by saying thanks to everyone who makes this forum great! I am a new member and wish i would have found this forum along time ago! I have a question about an oldschool 11-87 I recently got my hands on it is the short barrel version done up in bottomland camo, this gun is in very good shape for its age (mfg in 1996 or 98) it has a few briar scratches on it but overall is nice. When i got it home i totally dissasembled the gun as i do with any used firearm i purchase and it appears the previous owner kept the upkeep with this gun but i noticed a couple marks on the rear reciever above where the link rests in the recoil spring tube, it appears the bolt made contact with this at some point in time apon further review i measured the recoil spring and it is barely 14 inches long and i have read it should be 15 new. I have since ordered a new spring and breech bolt buffer (not in terrible shape but i figured while i was already this far i mite as well replace it to) do you guys know if this is a common problem when the recoil spring is wore out and doesnt have enough tension? There are no other parts that are worn above normal functioning and use so im hopeing i can change these two parts and get the gun up and running, i dont shoot near what i used to and this gun will prbly see 25 rounds or less a year for the rest of its life (or mine) whichever comes first. Just the ocasional turkey or coyote. What do you guys think, should i be ok with replaceing these parts? Thanks ahead of time for your thoughts and hopefully i can help yall out one day. Also let me apologise i was in the wrong forum when inposted this and am not sure how to move it to the general forum.

vaturkey

Welcome to Old Gobbler Songdog. You should be good to go ! Those Old School Remmy's are tuff as nails. Good Luck with it.

vaturkey   :newmascot:
Vaturkey

Songdog2012

Thank you very much vaturkey, i have owned many guns since i was a kid but this is my first autoloading shotgun. I have always wanted an 11-87 just never made the plunge until recently i thought about a new one but have heard that the older ones had a little bit of remingtons soul built into them and thankfully i waited till this gun came along. I learned at a young age to seek knowlege on matters i have very little on, rather than assume i always know the answer. Thanks again.

Songdog2012

I have moved this topic to the CORRECT category- Turkey guns. Sorry for the newbie mistake. Thanks.