OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Cracked Stock

Started by fletchy, May 17, 2013, 04:36:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fletchy

I have a old mossberg bolt action 20 gauge with a pretty good crack down threw the forend, what would be the best glue to fix this? I only want to do it once!

allaboutshooting

Quote from: fletchy on May 17, 2013, 04:36:05 PM
I have a old mossberg bolt action 20 gauge with a pretty good crack down threw the forend, what would be the best glue to fix this? I only want to do it once!

It's really all about preparation.  Everything needs to be very clean and free of oil/grease/gunk/old finish of course and you'll need to be able to clamp the areas that need to be repaired.

If you're able to pin it with a piece of dowel or more than 1 piece depending upon the length and location of the crack, it's more likely to hold. It may require that you stain and/or refinish the wood to make everything match however.

I like Gorilla Glue but it can be pretty messy and it expands as it dries, so you need to be sparing in its use and vigilant as it dries to keep the visible areas at least clear of the glue. If you've never used this product, I'd recommend that you read the directions very carefully.

I have also used Elmer's indoor/outdoor wood glue for repairs. It's not as messy and has much easier clean-up. It still requires initial cleaning of the area and clamping is required but in my experience at least, Gorilla Glue seems to be stronger.

I hope that helps some.

Thanks,
Clark

P.S. You may also be able to find a replacement stock for that gun here http://www.havlinsales.com/bolt.htm
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

EDP1

When I worked in a wood working shop all we ever used was plain Elmer's school glue and we had to take a few projects apart and the wood tore up. That is what I would use if it was me.