OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Colo or Wyo big game for turkeys  (Read 13395 times)

Offline jims

Colo or Wyo big game for turkeys
« on: May 03, 2013, 06:48:22 PM »
I would be interested in swapping big game (antelope, muledeer, moose, bighorn sheep, or mtn goat) or trout fishing in Colorado or Wyoming for turkey in neighboring states (Colorado, Nebraska, Kansas, etc).  Obviously some tags are easier to draw than others but I would be glad to help you out drawing a tag and on your hunt.  I hunt Wyo trophy antelope just about every year and that would be a great option if you don't have many preference pts to draw some of the other species.  I know draw stats..up-side-down and backwards so could help draw great tags.  I also do a lot of fly and spin fishing for trout here in Colorado.  My personal best is a 13 lb rainbow caught last year and there are several lakes I usually do well on 16 to 28" rainbows, browns, and cutthroat. 

I have lots of photos to share from recent successful hunts and fishing trips if interested.  Please email me at: jseb@lamar.colostate.edu
« Last Edit: May 03, 2013, 06:51:07 PM by jims »

Offline jims

Re: Colo or Wyo big game for turkeys
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2013, 11:39:06 PM »
I have a new swap hunt offer that is available this coming fall (2013) in Colorado.  I drew a muzzy muley tag in a central Colo unit and am searching for a partner that can buy an over the counter elk tag and tag along with me.  The bull elk ought to be bugling like crazy, aspens turning, and it's one of the prettiest spots in Colorado.  I will likely backpack into some remote high alpine canyons for a couple days at a time.  I've seen whopper muledeer (190+) in this same area so the elk hunt would prepare you for an archery or muzzy muley hunt (which is an easy draw).   The elk generally get in my way when I'm stalking muley bucks!  I would like to find a spot for turkeys and/or possibly whitetails in the midwest (KS, NE, Iowa, etc).  Please let me know if you are interested.  I've had several guys express interest and this offer probably won't last.
jseb@lamar.colostate.edu

Offline jims

« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2014, 10:31:27 AM »
I thought I would push this back up to the top.  I'm still open to suggestions in the eastern half of NE or KS.  If I can't work anything out I will likely hunt some of the public access areas and knock on some doors in both states.  The draw deadlines for big game in Colo and Wyo are quickly approaching and it will be gobbler season soon!

Offline Colt45

« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2014, 06:35:42 PM »
To bad you didn't mention indiana, otherwise I can put you in a lot of private ground here for eastern's and whitetails. Get a hold of me if this is of any interest to you.

Offline 2eagles

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2014, 10:12:31 PM »
Welcome to Iowa!  Info for zone 6 where I hunt most is included.  I only hunt public river bottoms and have had good success.  I always hunt seasons 1 & 4, but I can legally assist hunters in any season.  Not sure what we could swap, but my dad lives in Pueblo, so I get to CO at least once a year.

permits available as of 2/16 last row
06    1    04/14/2014    04/17/2014    165    96
06    2    04/18/2014    04/22/2014    165    118
06    3    04/23/2014    04/29/2014    165    94
06    4    04/30/2014    05/18/2014    165    56

Offline jims

« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2014, 07:39:04 PM »
I thought I would put this out there again...in case anyone missed it the first time.  I got hooked on turkey hunting 2 years ago and can't seem to get enough turkey hunting!

Offline SEMO

« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2015, 02:32:22 PM »
Any interest in Missouri turkeys? I know of some good central KS areas also. Send me an email. If anything we can swap some info. I'm thinking of putting in Wyoming muley hunt with 3 points.

kslr10@yahoo.com

Offline blueribbon

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2015, 01:20:03 PM »
I have a new swap hunt offer that is available this coming fall (2013) in Colorado.  I drew a muzzy muley tag in a central Colo unit and am searching for a partner that can buy an over the counter elk tag and tag along with me.  The bull elk ought to be bugling like crazy, aspens turning, and it's one of the prettiest spots in Colorado.  I will likely backpack into some remote high alpine canyons for a couple days at a time.  I've seen whopper muledeer (190+) in this same area so the elk hunt would prepare you for an archery or muzzy muley hunt (which is an easy draw).   The elk generally get in my way when I'm stalking muley bucks!  I would like to find a spot for turkeys and/or possibly whitetails in the midwest (KS, NE, Iowa, etc).  Please let me know if you are interested.  I've had several guys express interest and this offer probably won't last.
jseb@lamar.colostate.edu

You still looking for a partner?

Offline Shahou8

« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2015, 09:20:22 PM »
I have access to great Merriam turkey hunting in NE
I would live to get a good quality antelope

Offline jims

« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2015, 01:04:57 PM »
I had a fantastic year!  I started off spring 2015 harvesting a gorgeous pure merriams on public land above my house here in Colorado.  I followed this up with 3 whopper gobblers in Nebraska.  One tom just about leaped on top of me while turkey reaping!  I had an exciting fall hunting season.  It kicked off with a successful self guided dall sheep hunt and several side trips for salmon, halibut, and rafting trips in Alaska. Next came a couple trips north to Wyo where my son and I harvested 2 whopper pronghorn.   I ended my 2015 season off with an exciting trip to fish for monster Great Lakes trout and salmon.  I broke my personal best brown that tipped the scales at 21 lbs!  This was the 5th year in a row I've headed to the Great Lakes trying to break the 20 lb barrier...and it finally happened!  I'm always open to new and exciting trips so if anyone is interested..please contact me!

Offline jims

« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2016, 10:11:26 AM »
It's almost gobbler season!  I'm still looking for options!
Jim

Offline jims

« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2016, 11:33:14 AM »
I'm likely heading to Kansas in May this coming gobbler season.  If anyone is interested in swapping info let me know.  Right now I'm considering NW or N Central Kansas walk-in areas on my own.  The Colorado and Wyoming draw deadlines are just around the corner.  If you want to exchange advice I would be glad to help out.

Offline jims

« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2016, 09:29:07 AM »
This year's turkey season is winding down.  Like most gobbler addicts I'm already starting to think about next season.  I was fortunate this year to harvest a super nice pure merriams tom here in Colorado and 3 rio hybrids in Nebraska.  I have never gotten an eastern tom.  If anyone is up for some sort of swap or have a great spot for Eastern's please get in touch with me.

Offline fsu33952

« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2016, 10:35:21 PM »
I could help put you on some public land Easterns in Missouri if you could give me some info on Elk/ Mule deer in Colorado. Information swap.

Offline jims

« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2016, 09:55:52 AM »
If anyone is interested in swapping out turkeys in 2017 let me know.  I've had great luck with merriam's above my house here in Colorado.  Also, if you have big game pref pts in Colo or Wyo we may be able to work out a deal.  I helped several guys out for Wyo antelope this past fall and we all got super bucks!