Main Menu

Made a beard board - pics

Started by catman529, April 30, 2013, 12:37:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kansas hooks

Fatbeard

East TN Beard Buster

mtsrunner

How do you treat the spurs to get that look. I've got about 10 sets in the freezer. I would like to do something like that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

catman529

Quote from: mtsrunner on April 30, 2013, 09:52:47 PM
How do you treat the spurs to get that look. I've got about 10 sets in the freezer. I would like to do something like that.

nothing really, I just trim them up with my knife an coat in borax to dry, then scrub off with a wire brush and a little sandpaper to smooth them out. No bleaching or finishing, just bare bone.

mtsrunner

Quote from: catman529 on April 30, 2013, 10:37:34 PM

nothing really, I just trim them up with my knife an coat in borax to dry, then scrub off with a wire brush and a little sandpaper to smooth them out. No bleaching or finishing, just bare bone.
Ok, thanks. I will try it with some of my 1" sets first. I will save my daggers until I get comfortable with the process.

catman529

Quote from: mtsrunner on April 30, 2013, 10:39:44 PM
Quote from: catman529 on April 30, 2013, 10:37:34 PM

Ok, thanks. I will try it with some of my 1" sets first. I will save my daggers until I get comfortable with the process.

probably won't need much practice at all, in fact my first set of spurs came out better than these. Just trim all the skin and flesh off the bone with a sharp knife and be careful not to nick the spurs. Cut the spurs off with a hack saw of course before skinning and trimming. Just cut through the leg on either side of each spur.

eman375

catman529

Here are the requested close-up pics.

MAKEemQUIVER

Go Big Blue!!!!!!

mikejd

Very nice. I do the same thing with my brass and beard. Yoursooks great.

stone road turkey calls

Stone Road Turkey Calls / Gary Taylor
2013 Norseman 3rd place pot call
2013 Grand national 6th place pot call
2014 Midwest 3rd place pot call
2015 Midwest 5th place HM Tube call

packmule

Great board, and great year turkey hunting!