News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Girlfriends first bird

Started by Bowhnt, April 26, 2013, 07:40:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bowhnt

Just thought I'd share the full version of yesterday's hunt

My girlfriend has been hunting with me three seasons now and has been yet to take a bird.  With our work schedules it is difficult at best to get her in the woods.  She hunted Tuesday with me and started out the morning with a near flop.... One stinking gobble way off.   After sitting for the morning it was time to get up and find a bird.  We jumped in the truck and did laps around the block looking for someone who wanted to play.  Spotted one henned up gobbler on the neighbors but we left him alone in pursuit of something more likely to commit.  About  half an hour later we noticed a few little black dots way off in the distance in another field.   After putting the spotting scope up we confirmed  it was a group of jakes that we could probably sneak with 150 yards of.   One Long walk later we were situated under a pine tree with our dekes in place.   Yelp yelp yelp yelp.   Nothing.... Yelp yelp yelp.... Nothing.  15 or so minutes pass and I hear footsteps directly behind us and I'm assuming we have some deer coming into the food plot for a mid day snack.   It is walking right to us and is about to show itself at about 15 feet.  Lo and behold a lone hen pops out and feeds near our dekes for about 10 minutes.   This was one of her first encounters being able to watch a turkey up close and let me tell ya what it got her blood pumping and she was ready to do it again..... Fast forward to yesterday (4/25) about 11 am.  I have the day off again and I'm in the same area putting some miles on the spottin scope. She got out of work and was going to be there at 4:30 so I wanted to get an idea of what was where. I Located a couple henned up toms on the neighbors but nothing too close to us.  Came back again around three and circled the block looking for her bird.  Didn't see anything in any of the fields so I knew they had to be in our woods or  foodplot.  I parked at the road and snuck back along the drive trying to stay hidden to find where they were.   I got about half way back and saw I assume the same group Of jakes from the other day.   Perfect!   The sun was coming out and it was warming up and looking like it would be a good hunt.  The only way to get within calling distance was to sneak through the woods and up to the next field.   We ninja'd through the woods and I had her wait about 15 yards in while I snuck up to see where they were.  Got to the edge of the field and spotted red... Yup 20 yards away.  Mumbled "well s$@&" and hit the deck. I could've shot em from where I stood.   Got on my belly and crawled back to her.  We got set up and told her where they were and might come from if I didn't spook em.   Hit the slate one time and got cut off by three gobbles 50 yards... To our left.   'Bout average.    Im sitting behind her trying to keep her calm telling her she will have to pick her gun up and swing when I tell her too. They are close enough we can hear them walking now and we are both froze.  I can hear footsteps and another gobble on the opposite side.   A hen steps out of the field to our right and immediately we hear.  Putt putt putt.  My heart sinks cuz I know what happens next.  They all go single file back the way they came.  I tell her now! Before they leave.   She swings the gun and can't find the red dot.  I tell her shoot the middle one and the gun goes off.  He kinda stands there and I tell her to shoot again... About this time the lead bird stumbles and his face hit the dirt!   I just about lost it and couldn't contain my self.  Im freaking out and she just sits there.   Finally she gets it.  She gets up an tells me how exciting it was and she wants to do it again lol.  Hugs and congratulations for about 5 minutes.  I couldn't believe she had finally done it.   We go up and check him out and of course she is grossed out and wouldn't touch him with out gloves.... But I expected that.   We got out pics done and called everyone.   She says she wants to do it again but next time she wants it to be slower so she can see them come in lol.    The whole hunt from the time we sat down to the shot was only 5 minutes.  I've had some short hunts but never like that!
Out of all my turkey hunts this one is the  best.  And will be awful hard to beat.

spaightlabs

Pleas attach picture of girlfriend.

Bowhnt

Ill have some pics up shortly.  We mean from the hunt right? Lol

Jay

:icon_thumright: Very cool. Last year took the wife on her first Turkey hunt, called in 3 Jakes, and she took one at 18 yards. It's always exciting to get your Lady her first turkey. Quite the rush.

870supermagnum

Congrats on a great hunt, nice bird and a pretty girlfriend.   :happy0064:

DirtNap647

ILIKEHEVI-13

That's probably one of the greatest gifts next tor a ring of course a boyufirend can give a girlfriend.  There's a lot of women who have never even been turkey hunting let alone actually killing a turkey. 

I say congrats to both of you.

That is so remarkable.   :z-winnersmiley:

slamman

Bowhnt

Quote from: ILIKEHEVI-13 on April 26, 2013, 08:41:52 AM
That's probably one of the greatest gifts next tor a ring of course a boyufirend can give a girlfriend.  There's a lot of women who have never even been turkey hunting let alone actually killing a turkey. 

She got her ring for valentines day so technically she is fiancée lol

redarrow

Looks like you got a couple real keepers there. :icon_thumright: My wife doesn't turkey hunt cause she hates getting up early but she loves to deer hunt.May you have many years and many hunts together.

hookedspur

Pretty pair of Birds , Its Great she hunts with you !  Congratulations to you both ./.
CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

alloutdoors

ILIKEHEVI-13

Quote from: Bowhnt on April 26, 2013, 08:44:47 AM
Quote from: ILIKEHEVI-13 on April 26, 2013, 08:41:52 AM

She got her ring for valentines day so technically she is fiancée lol

Dang man your on a roll! 

Congrats again. 

catdaddy