OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Youth guns... Why?

Started by Hankyorke, April 16, 2013, 10:09:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hankyorke

I am just getting back into turkey hunting after a 15+ year hiatus. I noticed a lot if 20 gauge shooters using youth guns. Educate me on why?

Thanks

TrackeySauresRex

There lighter and easyer to carry. The shells are a little cheeper. The recoil is a lot less then a 10 or 12ga, And.... they shoot fantastic patterns w/hevi or Hw.  ;D One day I will fully cross over,It's hard for me not to reach for my Ol Mossy.

B-Well
:anim_25:
"If You Call Them,They Will Come."

nogoodreezen

I built one for my wife and daughter this year. I must say it is awesome!! Like has been said it is lightweight, easy to maneuver, and shoots lights out. That gun is deadly to 40 plus.

Sent from my Motorola RAZR MAXX using Tapatalk 2

Sand Man

simple fact to get the 21" barrel.

Let the little twenty EAT!!!!

BrowningGuy88

Cause when I sit down and pull my knees up, I don't need a 14.5" LOP and the short manueverable guns!

01Foreman400

I can't bring myslef to buy one.  I can't get comfortable with the short stock.  I've decided to buy another M2 20 ga. 24" barrel and get the smallest recoil pad Benelli offers for it.
Huntin Fool From Georgia!

JKF

I just put a limbsaver slip on pad on all my youth models and it makes them fit perfect for me

nogoodreezen

Quote from: JKF on April 16, 2013, 04:41:19 PM
I just put a limbsaver slip on pad on all my youth models and it makes them fit perfect for me

I agree completely. My super bantam actually fits better than my 835 with the limbsaver.

Sent from my Motorola RAZR MAXX using Tapatalk 2

Sand Man

adjustable Knoxx on all of ours.......goes from a kid to pygmy to sasquatch length in seconds!!!!!!!!

Let the little twenty EAT!!!!

FL-Boss

I like the idea of getting a 20ga only if I  could get it the way I want it from the factory. Basically a REM 11-87 camo with surshot and 21in barrel..... similar to my 11-87 12ga SM Turkey.  I like the idea of a lighter smaller version of what I have now.  BUT.... On the flip side of the coin it's nice to know now if a huge gobbler comes walking up and maybe a little far out... I have 2.25oz of #7 waiting .  Pro's and Cons... 

Longshanks

The new shell/ choke combo's for 20 guage guns will make them shoot better than the 12 guages used to..
My 20 guage shoots 170's in a 10 inch circle at 40yds.  Makes sense to carry a lighter gun around with me when I am hunting places like the midwest where I have to do a tremendous amount of walking. One gun will do.. whether you have a man, woman or child hunting with you. Technology has succeeded in the 20 guage arena as well as the 12 guage. Who would have thought a turkey gun would turn 330's in a 10 inch circle at 40yds with factory shells.. :welcomeOG:

redleg06

Quote from: FL-Boss on April 16, 2013, 05:24:37 PM
I like the idea of getting a 20ga only if I  could get it the way I want it from the factory. Basically a REM 11-87 camo with surshot and 21in barrel..... similar to my 11-87 12ga SM Turkey.  I like the idea of a lighter smaller version of what I have now.  BUT.... On the flip side of the coin it's nice to know now if a huge gobbler comes walking up and maybe a little far out... I have 2.25oz of #7 waiting .  Pro's and Cons...

Meh,  just go get you some TSS 9's and have the best of both worlds :toothy9:

Hankyorke

Quote from: Daman on April 16, 2013, 03:50:25 PM
Cause when I sit down and pull my knees up, I don't need a 14.5" LOP and the short manueverable guns!
As a dedicated wing-shooter that is something I'd not considered. Hmmmm, now the wheels are turning.

BrowningGuy88

Quote from: Hankyorke on April 17, 2013, 08:25:36 AM
Quote from: Daman on April 16, 2013, 03:50:25 PM
As a dedicated wing-shooter that is something I'd not considered. Hmmmm, now the wheels are turning.

I require at least a 14.25" and prefer a 14.5" for wing shooting, but you are aiming a turkey gun and are generally all scrunched up tight against a tree. As long as you remember to roll your thumb down so it doesn't bust your nose...

Jourdan_D

Quote from: FL-Boss on April 16, 2013, 05:24:37 PM

My little 20ga puts 336 in the ten and 318 in the twenty at 40 yards.....  Better then 90% of the 12ga and 10ga guns :). And it only weighs 5.5lb

http://oldgobbler.com/Forum/index.php/topic,34382.0.html