turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Finally patterned a few THUGS

Started by Jbird22, April 01, 2013, 10:58:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jbird22

I finally got a chance to pattern a few of the Federal Turkey THUG shells this afternoon.

Gun: Remington 870 Express SP Turkey w/ 26" polished barrel
Ammo: Federal Turkey THUG 3" - 1 7/8 oz. - #6
Weather: Upper 60's, practically no wind, air a little heavy but not what I'd call humid
Range: Lasered 40 yds

Shot #1 w/ Kick's .655 - 121 hits in 10" - wad made it approx 17 steps
Shot #2 w/ TruGlo SSX .643 - 129 hits in 10" - wad made it approx 17 steps (within inches of the Kick's)
Shot #3 w/ Rem Ventilator .655 - 102 hits in 10"  :( - wad made it approx 22 steps

EDIT 4-2-13 8:45PM - added distance wads traveled

Even though the SSX had better #'s in the 10", the Kick's looked better in the 20" (didn't count though). The Ventilator was pretty awful in this gun with this particular shell. For some reason, this gun has never been a show-off when it comes to patterns. My 870 SM with 23" barrel outshoots it regularly. I can't explain why but it does. I'm gonna try to pattern my 870 SM with these shells for a more thorough evaluation. One thing is certain, like others have said, the THUGS do kick pretty hard. 

Philippe

Jbird22

Quote from: Philippe on April 01, 2013, 11:34:56 PM
Grab a box of the 3.5 6's

All THUGS sold out at my local store. It took me going to 6 different stores to find what boxes I bought. I could be wrong but I just don't see the benefit of the extra 1/8 oz of shot in the 3-1/2". Having said that, I think out of those 6 stores I only saw maybe 2 boxes of the 3-1/2" #6.

frank1969

all u gain is more pellets in the 3.5 shells max drams are the same in 3 and 3.5 in shells. How they change the speed is with the ounce of shot that's in them

surehuntsalot

the extra 1/8oz of shot is not worth getting all excited about,or hunting for in the 3-1/2"
it's not the harvest,it's the chase