OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: What do think, can I do better? Beretta A400 Xtreme w/ Jeb's choke  (Read 13255 times)

Offline brkncly

I went out to pattern my 12 gauge Beretta A400 Xtreme using Jeb's Headhunter Turkey chokes.  The choke constrictions are .655 and .660 that I'm patterning with. About 65 degrees outside temperature, no wind, all shot at 40 yards determined with a range finder and using a shooting bench with a Lead Sled.  The shot shells I used are Hevi Shot 3 1/2" Magnum Blend, 2 1/4 oz shot, blended shot are 5,6,7 and 1,200 FPS. Please let me know if I should use the .655 or the .660 choke. Do you think I can get a better group? If so please let me know what I need to do, like change choke constrictions, use different ammo, any ideas would greatly be appreciated.  Take a look at each picture, it will tell you pellet count in a 10" and 20" circle and total pellet count between the both of them.  Talked to Bobby at Jeb's Precision chokes and he recommended using .655 choke with the Hevi Shot Magnum blend for my Beretta A400 Xtreme.

Re: What do think, can I do better? Beretta A400 Xtreme w/ Jeb's choke
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2013, 06:03:12 AM »
Anyone of them will kill a turkey,I like the last .660 pattern.It looks a little more even.If you want more try the hevi-shot sevens. 

Offline captin_hook

• Paintbrush Beard
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2013, 06:48:37 AM »
Take your pick. They're all good. Any of em would do just fine for me.

Offline Jourdan_D

« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2013, 09:40:56 AM »
Shot then draw your circles around the denses part of the pattern. They will all be better numbers if you do that.  Your poi/poa are off.

Offline brkncly

« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2013, 10:31:06 AM »
Yeah, I thought about the density of the pattern. I aim my shotgun as if I was shooting a turkey in the waddle. If I were to draw circle around the heaviest density part, doesn't that mean I would have to change where I aim on a turkey? Also I'm shooting open sights with factory fiber optic bead. Thanks

Offline the Ward

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Double Beard
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2013, 11:15:40 AM »
Yes,but you can just add a set of inexpensive open sites that clamp to your vent rib and then adjust them to the densest portion of your pattern.That will eliminate the problems with trying to employ "kentucky windage"and aiming off your target in order to center your pattern.Aso will eliminate a potential miss at close range when shooting an extremly tight pattern.Sometimes its hard to remember where your supposed to be aiming in the heat of the moment and you'll miss a bird at ten yards.Been there done that lol!...ward

Offline cja

« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2013, 01:02:01 PM »
I have the same set up with a .660 jebs and I'm getting around 250 in the 10" shooting the h13 #7 3 1/2. I haven't tried the blends but the 7's shoot very good in mine

Offline brkncly

« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2013, 01:44:26 PM »
cja did you use factory sight or did you go with the aftermarket adjustable sights?  If you are shooting factory sights out you aiming right at the bulleye?  Thanks

Offline cja

« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2013, 02:33:36 PM »
right now i'm just using factory bead might get a ffIII later.  My poa/poi is about 2 in high at 40 so i just aim at the waddles

Offline forcercon1

« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2013, 04:46:28 PM »
The 2nd photo with the 655 is a great pattern, just my opinion. The POA / POI was not too bad if the orange dot was your aiming point as most shooters with have more movement in the heat of the moment.

Good luck!

Offline brkncly

« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2013, 07:21:30 PM »
 Yes the POA/POI was aiming towards the orange dot.  Thanks

Offline albrubacker

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2013, 04:59:23 PM »
Either one looks like a killer!
The addiction will cost you time and money and alienate those close to you. I can give you the names of a dozen addicts — myself included — whose wives begin to get their hackles up a week before turkey season starts and stay mad until a week after it closes.

—Charlie Elliott

Offline chipper

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2013, 06:56:29 PM »
If the orange dot in #2 was your point of aim put it on his eye and fire away.

Offline Shakey Jake

« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2013, 07:32:29 PM »
They look like nice patterns to me! :icon_thumright:

Offline BINK McCARTY

• The Boss Gobbler
  • Beak first in th' dirt...
« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2019, 02:34:27 PM »
IMHO....655 and stay with the blends. And if you draw your circles AFTER you shoot ,yes you will have to adjust your POA,but you will also see what the most dense part of your pattern is. The way you are doing it now is not allowing you to measure the true "core" of your pattern. Good luck!!!