OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

.665 Sumtoy Rem. 870 Win.#6 Xx lead

Started by mozer67, March 30, 2013, 07:10:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mozer67

Sumtoy .665 Remington 870 3" Win. Xx #6 lead
1st pic is 35yds. 63 in 10"
2nd pic 25yds. 138 Temp was about 43°
How do these look for hunting patterns?

Onpoint

If it were me I'd try some different shells.  Im runnin a 660 sumtoy in my 870 and gettin 110 with 5's

mozer67

Yeah, I was a little disappointed with the 35 yrd shot. What is another brand that u suggest?

Onpoint

Mine liked the Winchester HV #5's and the federal turkey thug 5's. Here's my 40 yard pattern with the thugs.

If ya can't get it to do any better call William and tell him to send you somethin a little tighter.

BandedSpur

Your patterns indicate you have a 30 yd gun. That would be unacceptable to me, unless I was content to never shoot further than that. I have had good luck with WW 3-1.875-6 (gray box) shells, and am hearing a lot of good things about the Turkey Thugs. If you bought that choke from William (at Sumtoy), tell him what shell you want to shoot and he will work with you. He would not be satisfied with that choke/load combo either.

SumToy

Yup not happy with it.  I think after the alcohol and a POA/POI fix we will be a little better.  If not I think I talk to the boss and get a new one on the way.  :icon_thumright:
Tell us just how dead do you want them to be and we will see if we can get that for you.
Building American made products with American made CNC's and Steel.  Keep all the service Men and Women that gave a LIFE for our FREEDOM a live when you buy American.  God Bless the USA

birdyhunter

My sumtoy 665 hated supremes but LOVES hevi 13 2oz #5s

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk 2

mozer67

Talked with William on the phone & he gave me a few things to try as he mentioned in post above. Gonna go out tomorrow and give it another try. I'll post results when I get back. Thanks everyone for the input.

R AJ

Quote from: mozer67 on March 30, 2013, 07:10:47 PM
Sumtoy .665 Remington 870 3" Win. Xx #6 lead
1st pic is 35yds. 63 in 10"
2nd pic 25yds. 138 Temp was about 43°
How do these look for hunting patterns?

Are these the new Win XX shells in #6? . This looks nothing like what I get from the Win Supreme HV 3-1 3/4-#6s or even the red shell 3-2-6 from years past.

mozer67

Yeah, they are the new ones. Gonna test some different loads this week and see what I can come up with.

mozer67

William sent me a .660 choke to try out, and I think its a keeper. Tried the winchester "3.5 #6 HV loads and they seen to perform a little better for me, 97 hits @ 40 yrd. The federal #5 turkey thugs shot better also, just had a more even dense pattern with the #6's Thanks everyone for help and advice !

Onpoint

the Ward

That's alot better.How was the temp on your last patterning session with the .660?Did you get to  shoot any of the xx-6s that you patterned with the .665?Just wondering,glad you got it working good now!.....ward

mozer67

Weather was nice and warm, 72 deg. w/sunshine. I ran out of the xx "3 #6 and bought the same shell but in "3.5/2oz. shot and got this pattern. Very pleased with it but the only problem is now that my shoulder is killing me from xtra kick of the big shells, OUCH !! I am very pleased also with William @ Sumtoy and his excellent customer service. Great guy to do business with !! Very helpful.

SumToy

Funny thing is that some of the guys have gotten better numbers from the 5's.  May need to try one to see.  I had to do it to see for myself.
Tell us just how dead do you want them to be and we will see if we can get that for you.
Building American made products with American made CNC's and Steel.  Keep all the service Men and Women that gave a LIFE for our FREEDOM a live when you buy American.  God Bless the USA