News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Calling vs Bush whacking

Started by catman529, March 20, 2013, 11:56:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spring_Woods

Quote from: redleg06 on March 21, 2013, 08:13:53 AM
Would I use the terrain to get in front of them if they wont come to calling???? Yep.  Did just that twice in the last week while everyone else is leaving the woods without turkey that arent responding much to calling.

I dont get the mindset that a better turkey hunter would rather watch one walk away then use the terrain to get in front of one and "bushwhack" him when he walks in to gun range.

As opposed to watching him walk away from you while you sit there and call at his tail feathers....   :wave:

I hate it for ya if you're going to bang your head against that wall but I got no problem using the terrain and making a move to get in front of one if calling isnt getting it done....I'll be toting that non-responsive turkey out while yall boys get on and talk about "call shy" and "henned up".    :popcorn:

Amen brother  :icon_thumright:

I hunt out of state and if I'm paying out of state fees to hunt I'm going to use whatever means necessary to kill a bird.
"Was that a gobble?":gobble:

catman529

Quote from: WNM on March 21, 2013, 06:10:18 PM
Some of y'all sure are elitists. I'll bushwhack a turkey and water-swat a duck. Get rid of your corn piles, trailcams, and scouting rubs and scrapes-you should only be able to call deer, not ambush them.

If I've snuck up close enough to a bird that I can see him on the limb and it's legal shooting hours, it would give me great pleasure to roll him out of the tree.
last spring I accidentally got within 10 yd of a tree with a roosted tom in it. Expected him to fly down the opposite way because of the terrain. So I checked the sunrise time and saw I was in legal shooting hours. And that bird fell out of the tree. Lol

30_06

I don't see any real reason not to stalk a turkey. As with any good stalk pay attention to your surroundings, and plan accordingly.

AUDoubleBeard

Quote from: ccleroy on March 21, 2013, 06:23:16 PM
Some of y'all sure are elitists. I'll bushwhack a turkey and water-swat a duck. Get rid of your corn piles, trailcams, and scouting rubs and scrapes-you should only be able to call deer, not ambush them.

If I've snuck up close enough to a bird that I can see him on the limb and it's legal shooting hours, it would give me great pleasure to roll him out of the tree.

Bwahahahahaha!!! My Man!!
X2  :you_rock:

redleg06

:popcorn:

wvcurlytop

Quote from: WildTigerTrout on March 21, 2013, 12:59:30 PM
I repeat it is ILLEGAL to stalk a gobbler during the spring hunt in Pennsylvania. I will quote the regulation from Pa.'s 2012-13 Hunting and Trapping digest. On page 35 under turkey seasons, bag limits and regulations it says "Statewide. Only turkeys with visible beards are legal. Hunting by CALLING ONLY-NO STALKING- one-half hour before sunrise until noon from April 27 through May 11, and then from one-half hour before sunrise to one-half hour after sunset from May 13 through May 31. Hunters are asked to be out of the woods by 1pm when closing hours are noon". So you can see if you choose to stalk or try to sneak up on a turkey in Pa. without calling you are breaking the law and subject to arrest. With the high hunting pressure that we have here it is a safety issue plain and simple. In Pa. like I said before the sport is in the calling.

If ALL hunters would follow the PA rule of "A bird must have a visible beard" they wouldn't need the No stalking rule!!  WV has the same rule that all birds must have a visible beard, but every year someone gets shot.  Why?  Because someone thought they saw a gobbler, or heard one walking and ASSUMED it was the gobbler and shot!  I have never saw a human that looked like a turkey, regardless of the amount of facial or chest hair they had.  Visible beard means just that, a visible beard!!  Maybe in Pa they should require turkey hunters to stand hunt if "Stalking" is that huge of a concern!  They still have to have a visible beard to be legal, but at least they'll ensure everyone is staying put!  I guess running and gunning could be considered illegal too in Pa.. :OGturkeyhead:
And I agree with some of the posts, are we really calling in the bird, or are we just where he wants to go?  Who knows and who cares!  Gobbler in range=dead bird!! 
I don't care how you have to kill them, as long as it is legal, let'em have it!!!  Some of those older birds die a little harder, and I love giving them a dirt nap.  If I have to circle ahead of him and "Ambush" him, I'll do just that.  :fud:

tomstopper

Quote from: CASH on March 21, 2013, 08:11:08 AM
Calling a bird in is bushwhacking too.

1.  You're camoed head to toe.
2. You're pretending to be a hen.
3. He comes in looking for a hen and gets shot in the face by someone hiding from him.

IMO this is one of the most tired questions/arguments in turkey hunting.
:agreed: Hunting is just that HUNTING. I use whatever I have to get the job done. Again it goes back to personal choice & I am not going to question anyones methods (as long as it is legal & ethical) in which they get their bird. Happy hunting folks no matter which method you choose......

Uncle Tom

Couldn't agree more with what has already been posted by Tomstopper and regleg...if it is legal it must be right..you know they don't make any mistakes in making up these rules we must abid by. Whatever trips your switch...just don't let him get away.

SCGobbler

I have no problem repositioning on a  bird, but I don't particularly like to stalk/bushwhack.

I will get in between where they are going and where the left to try again, but I don't consider that bushwhacking.
The SC Gobbler

Some men are mere hunters; others are turkey hunters.
                    —Archibald Rutledge

renegade19

Quote from: Spring_Woods on March 21, 2013, 08:07:14 PM
Quote from: redleg06 on March 21, 2013, 08:13:53 AM
Would I use the terrain to get in front of them if they wont come to calling???? Yep.  Did just that twice in the last week while everyone else is leaving the woods without turkey that arent responding much to calling.

I dont get the mindset that a better turkey hunter would rather watch one walk away then use the terrain to get in front of one and "bushwhack" him when he walks in to gun range.

As opposed to watching him walk away from you while you sit there and call at his tail feathers....   :wave:

I hate it for ya if you're going to bang your head against that wall but I got no problem using the terrain and making a move to get in front of one if calling isnt getting it done....I'll be toting that non-responsive turkey out while yall boys get on and talk about "call shy" and "henned up".    :popcorn:

Amen brother  :icon_thumright:

I hunt out of state and if I'm paying out of state fees to hunt I'm going to use whatever means necessary to kill a bird.

I agree with both of these responses.  If you call a bird close enough to shoot and then "ambush" him ain't that the same basic thing as "bushwhacking" him? Does it really matter how you get close enough to kill him with him not knowing you are there?

turkeybilly

Calling in gobblers is why I hunt them.  To me sneaking up on one and shooting him would be cheating me and the gobbler.  Calling is my passion the more I can sound like a real hen the more birds I call.   I make my own calls so I have to call them :)

cluck

Somebody said that its against the law to sneak or stalk a turkey in Misssouri but I've never read anywhere about it. If i'am wrong please tell me. I have hunted turkeys for almost fifty in Mo and never seen it. I have only one conviction about how and thats the turkey has to be at or under 40 yds. There just might be a hunter siting 20 or 30 yds. form that turkey your shooting at 75 yds. What would you feel like if 2 oz. of shot came by your ear? Think twice before you pull the trigger. You can't pull it back. There are some unwritten limts to what you can do to get that tom turkey.   cluck

timberjack86

Quote from: CASH on March 21, 2013, 08:11:08 AM
Calling a bird in is bushwhacking too.

1.  You're camoed head to toe.
2. You're pretending to be a hen.
3. He comes in looking for a hen and gets shot in the face by someone hiding from him.

IMO this is one of the most tired questions/arguments in turkey hunting.
:agreed:

GobbleNut

I have to agree with turkeybilly on this one.  If gobblers did not respond to my calling and come in with all the assorted fanfare, strutting and gobbling, I would never have gotten hooked on hunting them.  I will kill them by other legal means (except roost shooting, whether it's  legal or not) if I have to and an opportunity presents itself, but the satisfaction for me is never the same as when I call one in. 

redleg06

Quote from: GobbleNut on March 28, 2013, 06:35:17 PM
I have to agree with turkeybilly on this one.  If gobblers did not respond to my calling and come in with all the assorted fanfare, strutting and gobbling, I would never have gotten hooked on hunting them.  I will kill them by other legal means (except roost shooting, whether it's  legal or not) if I have to and an opportunity presents itself, but the satisfaction for me is never the same as when I call one in. 

I agree with what you're saying.  I'm happy whenever I take one, even if he doesnt gobble or put on a show, but it sure is more fun when they do!