OldGobbler

OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Hunting updates. Who's hunting and hows it going?

Started by bornagain64, March 19, 2013, 06:23:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bornagain64

This is the place to tell us how your hunt is going.

bornagain64

I took my brother out today for one of his public land hunts. We had some birds gobbling and ready to come in, but they got hung up on the river, and would not come across. We can only hunt until 1:00 on public land, we heard the first gobble at 12:40, so we had to go after them a little harder than normal.
Back to work tomorrow, but Ray and I will be back in the woods on Friday- Sunday.

John

bornagain64

Ray and I Went back to public land today, I did not even see or hear a bird.
Ray saw some hens, jakes and some deer, but no shooters.
Biologist told us about some poachers getting busted in our area. Also checked the cameras and had coyotes and bobcats but no turkeys.
Going back out tomorrow, not sure what to expect, the weather guys are calling for storms,rain and winds and Sunday possible tornadoes.

Its a quota hunt so you have to go when you are drawn for.

John

Uhadme@gobble

good luck.......hope the weather turns for the better!!!

bornagain64

I went out today by myself. Windy, windy, windy.
Not a peep.
Ray had a bird located yesterday, so I walked back about 3/4 of a mile and waited for it to get light. No gobbles, I set up and called until 11:00, then headed out. It was so windy the birds would have had to be sitting on my lap to hear my calling.
They did not check out a bird this whole quota hunt. That is why they call it hunting and not killing.

No scheduled hunts for 2 weeks, and then I have my best chance of the year. Still public land but way better and less people.
Its gonna be a long 2 weeks.

Who is up next beside Ray and I?

John

nogoodreezen

I'm taking my daughter in two weeks and then our season starts the following weekend. I am so ready.

Sent from my Motorola RAZR MAXX using Tapatalk 2

irishff727

This season is a learning season for me. Between working on my calling skills to getting my dedicated turkey gun set up just right to figuring out how to set my self up for max comfort. I didn't set out to kill a bird this season although that would have been great but more to learn as I figured if I did get a bird this season it would have been pure dumb luck. But so far all the time I have spent out in the woods targeting birds has taught me a lot and will be better prepared next season

timberjack86

Gonna do some scouting this week. Tn's season finally opens this weekend. I hope it warms up alittle between now and then. Its 25 degress and snowing up here on the rock!

jarbo03

Tried to go scouting yesterday, couldn't get to my hunting spots, roads were drifted over. Did see a few birds on some of the passable roads, will be looking to gain more permission.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

neverstopchasin

approximately 57 hrs and 45 mins till our season opens :drool:

timberjack86

Scouted some private land 3-27-13 and found 15 turkeys with 4 gobblers in the group. Checked out a wma today and found lots of sign. Saturday is looking good! :drool:

bornagain64

Good luck to everyone who season starts tomorrow. I know we get worn out chasing birds, but try and update everyone on how its going.
Down here in Florida we only have a couple of weeks left and we will be done, so it will help to here the stories of whats going on with everyone's hunting season.

John

neverstopchasin

started a new job this wk and we workin 12hrs a day so not gonna be able to hunt as much as i would like but gotta pay the bills. fired up bout in the mornin son its on like donkey kong

timberjack86

I hunted all morning and never heard a gobble. Supposed to get some heavy thunderstorms tommorro  but its on Monday!

neverstopchasin

yeah i heard nothin that even would make you wonder if it might have been a gobble in the distance. seen i tom struttin with bout10 hens in one field i havin to share this yr and seen 7 red heads and 2 hens in another i didn't have permission to hunt and they were bout 30 yards off the road, almost shot outta the mobile ground blind lol. they were in knee high grass and could see the beards but a couple was blowed up. wont get to go till next sat probably. they havent sowed the other field i have permission to hunt but they should in the wk or so