OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Choke to use with Fed HW flight control

Started by Balla1982, March 19, 2013, 12:34:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Balla1982

I have an IC and would like to try the Federal HW with flight control. Any recommendations on chokes or will the Indian do the job?

Philippe

The IC's are not made for the flight control wads. However you may want to look at the haymaker choke or another choke that is not ported and has no wad strippers.

pullit

Can tell you first hand the IC choke does not play well with the Fed wads.
It blew my pattern all to crap.

alclark2

I think some people suspect the FCW messed up their IC choke.
Hoosier Hunt n Fish

gophert

Quote from: pullit on March 19, 2013, 02:58:13 PM
Can tell you first hand the IC choke does not play well with the Fed wads.
It blew my pattern all to crap.

From my understanding the 20 ga FCW is softer and does pretty good with Indian Creek chokes, but just like Pullit said, the 12 ga FCW is much harder and does not do very well.  Hope that helps. 

learn2hide

Rob Roberts Gunworks in Arkansas makes non ported solid chokes, they will customize a solution for you..I shoot HTL but also shot some lead Federal Flite Control #5 through it and got a solid 130's pattern that would easily smoke a gobbler at 40 yards.   I would think the heavyweight would do even better
shoot first, measure spurs later   
Don't miss "The Break" our new outdoor TV show featuring the www.HuntersLink.com team on the Hunt Channel Ch.266 on Dish Network.  All episodes can be seen on Hunt Channel on ROKU and streaming devices and on the website as well...Enjoy and thanks for the support!

Balla1982

Thanks guys. After reading so many posts on here, I'm kinda getting an itch to try a new choke every year!!!

SumToy

Tell us just how dead do you want them to be and we will see if we can get that for you.
Building American made products with American made CNC's and Steel.  Keep all the service Men and Women that gave a LIFE for our FREEDOM a live when you buy American.  God Bless the USA

Balla1982

Balla1982

I found a Carlson's non-ported turkey choke .640 for $25. Has anyone tried one of these?  I have a 12 ga Benilli Nova that I am working on finding the best choke and shell pattern and I'd like to try the Federal Flight Control series.

Philippe

Quote from: Balla1982 on March 21, 2013, 07:41:58 PM
I found a Carlson's non-ported turkey choke .640 for $25. Has anyone tried one of these?  I have a 12 ga Benilli Nova that I am working on finding the best choke and shell pattern and I'd like to try the Federal Flight Control series.

I would pick up a handful of different chokes that are not ported and have no wad carchers/strippers in them. You may want to do a search on here for benelli chokes. Are you looking to buy something off the shelf or have somethin made? Give the guys at SumToy a call as well.

Balla1982

Well there's a local store here in Paducah that has some used chokes where I saw this one. I may see what all they have and try them.
Shells are just so expensive.

outdoors

I HAVE A M2 20 GA. AND A
PG 555 AND AT 42 YDS. I
GET 15 BB IN THE HEAD
AND NECK , IM HAPPY ....
       :OGani:
Sun Shine State { Osceola }
http://m.myfwc.com/media/4132227/turkeyhuntnoquota.jpg

noisy box call that seems to sound like a flock of juvenile hens pecking their way through a wheat field