OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

heavy Magnum and Winchester?

Started by cjordan, March 16, 2013, 03:20:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cjordan

I was digging around in the closet today and found a couple boxes of shells. I found a box of Heavy Magnum #5, and #6 they say nickel plated lead shot. So I was wondering if shooting them through a lead shot only choke whould hurt anything? I also found a box of Winchester High Velocity Turkey Loads #5. I havent seen anywhere on the box where it says lead, does anybody know if they are lead or not? I was thinking about seeing how the 835 with the factory turkey choke likes these shells, till the ssx comes in. The only thing is on the Hornady HM it says best with Imp Cyl or Mod choke, so the turkey choke may not pattern to well. Thanks for your time and help

Gumby

Those are all lead loads and fine through your choke

cjordan

Thank ya sir! I think I'm fixing to go give em a try

alclark2

Are the Winchesters in a grey box?
Hoosier Hunt n Fish

SKFOOTER

BandedSpur

Quote from: SKFOOTER on March 16, 2013, 08:32:22 PM
The Hornadys are junk. :OGturkeyhead:

Agreed. I've never heard of anybody getting anything approaching a good pattern from the Hornadys. And yes, the Winnie's are lead, and no... nickel plated lead shot will not hurt your choke.

cjordan

Quote from: alclark2 on March 16, 2013, 05:38:02 PM
Are the Winchesters in a grey box?
Black box 2 3/4"
Quote from: SKFOOTER on March 16, 2013, 08:32:22 PM
The Hornadys are junk. :OGturkeyhead:
I will most certainly echo that

R AJ

The Hornady rounds may shoot better in the SSX than any of the chokes they suggested . It certainly won't hurt.

I have never shot one of them just basing it on experience with other Shot Wads like that,

I will be interested in how that shell compared to any of the others you tried in any choke.

surehuntsalot

I have no problems with the Federal fcw shells,I can make them work in both of my 20ga's and my 12ga,but the Hornady's are worthless,they wouldn't even made a good squirrel load
it's not the harvest,it's the chase

Clif Owen

I may know a guy that would be interested in those Hornadys...I've never tried them but he was bragging on some he had last year.