OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Browning invector plus with Indian creek pattern picture(opinions needed)  (Read 15547 times)

Offline longbeards21

I have a NWTF browning 12ga invector plus with an Indian creek .665. I shot the 3.5" Winchester xtended range 2oz #6s at 40 and this is what I got. It was 58degrees and 15 mph winds. I have not cleaned the barrel in awhile either. All of my shots are low low low. The first shot I got about 178 hits in a 10" circle and the second shot dropped to 151 hits. I tried the 3" magnum blends through my Indian creek and a rhino and the Indian creek did the best but it was still only 169 hits and its still low.
1st shot =178 hits

2ns shot=151 hits

What do you guys recommend that I do to get the pattern to tighten up a little?
« Last Edit: March 14, 2013, 08:05:58 AM by longbeards21 »

Offline WildSpur

• Longbeard
You can deep clean your barrel, you could polish it too.  I would definitely wait for a calmer day to shoot though.

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk 2

Cluck more, yelp less

Offline captin_hook

• Paintbrush Beard
It's definitely good to hunt with after a sight adjustment . I'm sure your #s will go up with a clean barrel.

Offline forcercon1

I'm not making this statement because I know, I am wondering the opinion of others......

Does it look like the pattern blew out as if the choke is too tight?

Offline learn2hide

• Check out www.hunterslink.com "The Break TV" on f
    • HuntersLink and The Break
hey man, I have the same gun, fought it a little bit just like you did...my combo was 3 1/2 2 1/4 oz Hevi 13...was throwing 150-170 out of a carlson and an indian creek .665.  I went to a .675 Indian Creek as I heard some rumbling about too much choke, no good results.  Ended up working with the guys at Rob Roberts Gunworks...I bought a Final Strut .660 and tossed 218 in 10" at 40 yards with that #6 load, and the second shot dirty still did 189...did 130 with a lead Federal #5.  I was very pleased with their service and the results are obvious...you can find the pics in a thread from last year about the NWTF Super X2...Good luck, hope you find the right combo
shoot first, measure spurs later   
Don't miss "The Break" our new outdoor TV show featuring the www.HuntersLink.com team on the Hunt Channel Ch.266 on Dish Network.  All episodes can be seen on Hunt Channel on ROKU and streaming devices and on the website as well...Enjoy and thanks for the support!

Offline nyhunter

• 2023 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
178 is right on with what i have found to be average with that shell, no the pattern is not blown. I would personally do the fallowing the..

1) deep clean the barrel
2) polish the barrel
3) shoot and re sight the gun on a calmer day
4) go hunting save your money and be confident in your setup

I would say if it stays between 151 and 178 dont waste your money on another choke. You might wanna try H-13 3.5" 2.25oz #6"s, There no longer making the win. xtended range and there gonna be hard to get. 

Offline R AJ

• Paintbrush Beard
I am shooting a 660 Hastings in my 28" BPS inv+ using 3" 2oz. #6 Win Supreme red shell and could not be happier.  My 22.5" bbl likes a 655 in 6s in the 3-1 3/4-#6. The 665 in the 28" bbl was not as tight a steh 660 choke. You may see a great difference but who knows for sure?

Offline TheSportsman

I shoot the same gun with a PG 670 and 3.5" magblends. Consistently puts up high 280s in a 10". I deep cleaned and polished my barrel.

Offline SumToy

• Double Beard
    • sumtoycustoms
All of them will kill.  Now if you try to get numbers you may want to look at how you clean the barrel.  Then Look at going to a little bigger choke.   :anim_25:
Tell us just how dead do you want them to be and we will see if we can get that for you.
Building American made products with American made CNC's and Steel.  Keep all the service Men and Women that gave a LIFE for our FREEDOM a live when you buy American.  God Bless the USA

Offline DirtNap647

• Paintbrush Beard
I shoot the same gun with a PG 670 and 3.5" magblends. Consistently puts up high 280s in a 10". I deep cleaned and polished my barrel.
that may be the best  pattern i heard of for mag blends

Offline VaTuRkStOmPeR

• Longbeard
.675 Indian Creek
.670 Rhino

Polish the barrel.

My browning silver hated the .665.

Offline learn2hide

Not disagreeing with the above poster but I tried .675 IC and it made no difference I didn't get top end patterns till I went to .660 in the Rob Roberts tube
Don't miss "The Break" our new outdoor TV show featuring the www.HuntersLink.com team on the Hunt Channel Ch.266 on Dish Network.  All episodes can be seen on Hunt Channel on ROKU and streaming devices and on the website as well...Enjoy and thanks for the support!

Offline VaTuRkStOmPeR

• Longbeard
Not disagreeing with the above poster but I tried .675 IC and it made no difference I didn't get top end patterns till I went to .660 in the Rob Roberts tube

I run 287 (274-279 in cooler weather)in the 10" at 40 with nitro 4x5x7 h13 and a polished bore with the IC .675. That gun still puts 100 pellets in the 10" at 60 yards.

I've never seen a Ron Roberts gun that could rival that kind of performance (truthfully, not everyone wants a 65 yard gun) and never known anyone to get impressive patterns from a .655-.660 constriction with the .742 overbored barrels and invector choke system.

The fact that youre running a .660 and getting good results has my interest. What are your numbers in the 10 at 40 and beyond? Thanks!
« Last Edit: May 15, 2013, 08:41:55 AM by VaTuRkStOmPeR »

Offline learn2hide

I have a Winchester Super X2 NWTF edition, you can see my posts with that gun name on the Pattern forum and sights/optics forum...You should even see last summer's workings with the IC tubes.  Basically with 3 1/2 2 1/4oz Hevi 13 6's I am throwing 216-220 in 10" at 40 yards and 7's were in 260-275 range.  This is with a Rob Roberts .660 Final Strut tube and a cleaned but not deep polished barrel.  The gun simply didn't shoot the IC tubes well, the guys were good to work with but 170 and 190 or so were my best patterns with 6's and 7's, going to a .675 got me a good open pattern at 20 but didn't improve my 40 numbers they went down a bit.  I just didn't want to pay 70 dollars for a tube that didn't do me any better than the factory tube which shot about 155-160 all the time.  Roberts suggested I go to a .660 to start and it's been fine.  Other than having the factory sights be too high off the gun making me nearly miss a bird completely at 20 yards I'm happy with my set up.  And it's shooting right on now that I put a new lower rear sight on it. I never have done a pattern analysis outside 40 yards but I misjudged yardage on a turkey once and he didn't take a step  :newmascot:
« Last Edit: May 15, 2013, 09:07:48 AM by learn2hide »

Offline Gold Spur

• Double Beard
Longbeards21, I shoot the same gun and choke setup as you do, but I use H-13 3.5" 7's. Before the H-13 7's came out I shot the 6's. With the 6's I was getting 160 hits in a 10" circle at 40yds. I took Clark's advice and deep cleaned my barrel. I went from 160 to 190 hits. With a clean barrel shooting H-13 3.5" 7's, I can get right at 290 hits. With the mag. blends I can get over 200 hits easy. Deep cleaning is the key to better patterns. I haven't polished my barrel, but some day I might try it.
 I also have a Mad Super Max in .675, and the the numbers of hits are about the same as the Indian Creek .665. I also have a Burris FFII sight on my Gold. The mag. blends pattern a lot lower than 6's and 7's in my gun.
Woo Pig Sooie!!!