turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

What about bearded hens...where legal?

Started by lumberjack, March 12, 2013, 12:13:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lumberjack

The Jake taker thread got me to thinkin.  Here in WV the law for spring turkey season says bearded birds only.  So therefore bearded hens are legal.  How do other states handle this and would / do you shoot one?  I personally have never seen a bearded hen during the spring season so I have not had to make the decision....depending on the season and date it would be hard to pass up!! However, hens do potentially have an impact on the population for next year so there is a biological reason to let her walk....may not make it easier though!  :funnyturkey:

budtripp

Its legal in Missouri. I saw one once, I believe it was 2009. I was home on leave during turkey season and was really tempted to shoot her as I hadn't been turkey hunting for years since joining the Marine Corps but a gobbler suddenly appeared in the field so my sights shifted to him. A buddy of mine killed one back when we were in middle school and did a fan mount of her. Looks pretty cool next to his gobbler fan mounts. Something different.

Byhalia

Legal here in PA.......won't shoot here in the spring......but come fall...... :smiley-char092:
~ Listen to the Wind ~    http://customprocalls.com/

turkey harvester

TURKEY NUT CUSTOM STRIKERS- Jeffrey Thompson-Owner.  Kathleen,GA
Hunt with your kids, not for them.

Hunt with your kids, not for them.

SouthEastNC

They're legal here in NC. The only time I've seen one, I had just started hunting and my host/teacher didn't want it shot.

If it was at my place this season... not sure what I'd do.
Go Heels, Go America

Ded Goblr

drenalinld

Hi, my name is David and I've shot two bearded hens.

guesswho

I'm a hen killer.  I see bearded hens pretty regular and killed one several years ago that had a nine inch beard.   So far the population there is holding it's own.   Some states kill'em in the fall and still have huntable populations.  So I'm not sure how much the killing of hens impact the population.
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

J Hook Max

Never would kill any hen, legal or not. The one you kill could not raise any poults. I know I may be old fashioned but in my neck of the woods, you would not want to known as the guy who killed a hen. You may as well have killed your Mama.

Boatdoc39

No hens, including bearded hens can be taken at any time here in Louisiana. 

WildSpur

Legal here in pa.  I would shoot one. 
Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk 2

Cluck more, yelp less

budtripp

In the spring, they get a pass to raise another batch of poults.  I'll whack hens any day in the fall when I'm bowhunting though.

Tomspur

Shot my first bearded hen this past fall. Saw one last year that I passed on and said I would  take one if I got an opportunity which I did. It is legal in Texas by the way.

jakesdad

Shot one in the fall probably 15 yrs ago,when populations were pretty high.Would not shoot a spring bearded hen,or any hen in fall(maybe with a bow)until the population gets high again(if ever :-\)Have really got a interst in trying to kill fall gobblers,but havent really taken the step forward to really focus on it yet........but I can see it happening soon!

"There are turkey hunters and people who hunt turkeys.I hope I am remembered as a turkey hunter"

wvcurlytop

I've never saw one in the spring, but I have saw several in the fall.  I don't think I'd shoot one in the spring, as she may lay a nice clutch of eggs full of next spring's JAKES!!!! 

And the ones I've saw in the fall,  :fud:..  So far we still have turkeys to hunt!