OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Are you a Jake taker?

Started by TurkeyTom, March 12, 2013, 09:25:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

When I started hunting turkeys the first four I killed were jakes. But I haven't killed a jake in over 15 years.  Tell me what you think.

No, I never kill a jake.
44 (53.7%)
Jakes taste just as good if not better.... so shoot when you can.
38 (46.3%)

Total Members Voted: 80

Voting closed: March 22, 2013, 09:25:43 AM

Muzzy61

Quote from: dirt road ninja on March 12, 2013, 10:50:19 PM
I don't, but its illegal in MS and that's where I do most of my hunting. I'm happy for anyone who's happy with whatever they legally harvest. There is nothing wrong with shooting any legal turkey or deer. I get bothered when folks apologize for killing a buck that's not a 150. If a 1.5 year old buck makes you happy I'll celebrate with you and if you critique something I kill I'll never hunt with you again. I follow the rules at whatever club I hunt and try to only harvest nice buck, but sometimes I hunt public land near the house and will kill the first legal thing I see. Many of the little deer I've killed in the marsh came harder then some of the nice deer killed on private ground. As I type this I'm thinking I might want a jake fan and might roll one in LA in a couple weeks, or not, but if I do I'll tote it out with a grin from ear to ear.
.              Yep, this about sums me up
Print by Madison Cline, on Flickr

Clif Owen

I've shot a couple. My first was a jake..well..kinda. He had a 6" beard. I let a couple go last year but had every intention of shooting one of the 4 that my buddy called in the last weekend of the season. I waiteed for him to shoot because he hadn't shot one in a couple of years. It just didn't work out for me when he shot though...he shot the only one I could see at the time and when the survivors came part of the way back, he could see them but I couldn't. I hunted an area that I had seen at least 7 jakes the previous year but we listened 4 or 5 days and never heard a bird. No idea what happened to them.

El Pavo Grande

I don't shoot jakes, but have zero problem with anyone that does.  I killed several when I was a kid, both spring and fall.  Last spring on the second and last day of a quick out of state trip, a buddy and I called up 3 gobbling jakes.  He killed one and I watched the show.  I was as happy as he was, but chose not to shoot one of the other two. 

jlawson382

This is my first season, so, while I'm not PLANNING on killing a jake... I won't promise not to put a bead on one if he wanders my way.   Especially if he's the ONLY idiot in the woods dumb enough to come to my calls!

WildTigerTrout

My first spring gobbler was a longbeard. I can't say I never killed a jake because I have. I took several when fairly new to the game. At this point though I prefer to wait for Mr. Longbeard. I have no problem with anyone who takes a jake. IMO it's up to the individual and who am I to condemn anybody as long as the hunt is legal and the game taken in a sporting manner.
Deer see you and think you are a stump. The Old Gobbler sees a stump and thinks it is YOU!

calebb

I have killed some jakes in my day but I hung it up on them when I was younger, wouldn't matter anyway they aren't legal in Arkansas anyhow. I'm all for youth and new people killing them, or even people with limited time. Personally I want to wait for a 2 year old or better, thats what gets me going. I will work a jake if he wants to play though, never turn down a free show its a good chance to learn something new.

SouthEastNC

I don't mind one bit when a group of jakes comes near. Get to have called a male bird (or birds) into range, watch them, and still have a tag to go after a big boy.
Go Heels, Go America

870FaceLift

I understand the mentality of wanting to hone your woodsmanship and focus in on mature harvests.  However, I personally never enter the woods with expectations of killing a particular caliber of animal.  I've certainly scouted particular bucks and tried like heck to get on them, but I've never for one hunt went into it thinking that I wouldn't consider harvesting another animal.  I've had hunts where I've passed numerous 2.5 year old deer or jakes.  I've also had hunts where I was tickled to take a jake.

The truth for me is that I just like being in the woods.  I like turkey hunting because to be successful you have to interact with the birds on their level.  I never want to get to the point where I see a small group of jakes run in and I dont get excited.  My worst fear is that hunting will be that way for my kids.  I have a three year old who already picks out "shooters" on the Outdoor Channel.  My wish for him is that he gets to enter the woods and hunt for a lifetime without ever having to be dissatisfied with an animal that he decides to pull the trigger on or draw back on.  There are many reasons not to shoot a jake if you don't want to, but machoism shouldn't be one of them.

Just my $.02, but I let the moment decide what I shoot.  I love long beards and curved hooks, but I'm indifferent when it comes to shooting a jake or letting it walk. 

Good luck to everyone this season!
Pass it on...

PALongspur

I've been known to shoot a jake now and then. I'm a turkey hunter, I do it because I love it. I could care less about impressing anyone with beard or spur lengths. I do however, love a good action-packed hunt and sometimes jakes will give you that. For me, legal gobbler in range....BOOM!!

saltysenior

I myself, and certain states call it ''Spring Gobbler Season"......I go by that..

lumberjack

Quote from: saltysenior on March 14, 2013, 08:58:42 PM

I myself, and certain states call it ''Spring Gobbler Season"......I go by that..
Do you then only buy Gobbler calls or do you then go general and buy "turkey" calls?

appalachianstruttstopper

It's according to how much hunting time during the season and what chances I have had during that season. In saying that, yes I have and do kill jakes, usually don't unless they work me up like a long beard does. Two of my most memorable hunts where jakes that had me like a 3yr old boss would have me. One a few years ago on public property last week of a 5 week season I spent 3hrs working this bird that gobbled like he was king of the mountain. I carried him the 2 mile hike outta the NF and considered it a trophy because this bird had worked me as hard as I worked him.

870BkWht

We are allowed 2 tags here in WV and at this point in my life, I will not turn down a Jake unless Ive already filled 1 tag on a Jake.  Jakes taste better than tag soup.  And its my opinion that most of the time, a bird in hand is worth 2 in the bush.

redarrow

I have taken Jakes in the past and may take one again in the future.I prefer to hunt gobblers.I have no problem passing up a jake though.So to answer your question . At this point in my life 'No 'I wont shoot a jake.

renegade19

I have before.  I might again.  My buddy actually has a mounted jake tail that is one of my favorite tail displays.  To each his own.