OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Why to build a shotshell "Stash"

Started by decoykrvr, March 11, 2013, 01:25:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

decoykrvr

I'm in the process of patterning a friend's shotgun which was sent to Sumtoy to have it threaded, a choke made, the forcing cone lengthened and Williams Sights installed.  I've got a selection of about 5 top performing lead loads to evaluate, and when finished, I'm going to urge my friend to purchase a significant "stash" of the top performing load.  The development and performance of today's turkey shells in both HTL and lead may be about "as good as it gets", especially within the constraints of the cost of shell components, marketting, and profitability.  When you consider the time, cost, and potential physical abuse to maximize the performance of a turkey gun, it just makes sense to purchase a substantial quantity of shells which will enable you to hunt w/ a proven performer into the foreseeable future. 

FL-Boss

Agreed.  Since all the latest gun shootings and political bashing.. you can be assured the cost is going to only increase. Regardless of the future quality ...   we already see the prices going up.

BandedSpur

Make sure to try the Fed Turkey Thugs. I've seen the pix of 171/10 and 175/10 with a 3-1&7/8-6 shell through an 1187/IC.665.

Old Gobbler

Over the years , I have seen several accounts of where people got a turkey gun to shoot astounding levels of performance only to start over again because production of the ammunition was disrupted

2-3 years from now turkey hunters could be in a situation where they are kicking themselves for passing up on buying a few more boxes at todays availability and prices   
:wave:  OG .....DRAMA FREE .....

-Shannon

FL-Boss

"buying a few more boxes at todays availability and prices"

Yep... just look at the price of Hevi 13 for one example... wasn't a 5 round box $10 bucks less last turkey season?   

01Foreman400

I currently have 35 boxes of 20 ga. Federal Heavyweight 1.5 oz. 3" #7's, 14 boxes of Hevi-13 Mag blends 3" 2 oz. and 68 rounds of Nitro 12 ga. 3.5" 2 7/16 oz. #7's with 50 more rounds on order.   
Huntin Fool From Georgia!

ericjames

Sound like you are ready for war on gobblers! lol

3" 870 Shell Shucker

You stock up on this, and then you find something that shoots better and stock up on that, etc., etc., until you have a big ol' pile of stuff.

I still have several boxes of discontinued Non-Copper Plated PMC Lead in #4's and #6's that I have never even patterned.  The Copper-Plated PMC loads shot well though.

jakesdad

I have about 40 boxes of 12/20 gauge loads.Have a good stash of black box winnies in 12 3" #6's cause they shot good out of my 870 and stardot.Then found some of the grey box winnies in 3" 6's so stocked up.haven't shot the grey box yet,but got em ready.Have used the 20 870 with jellyhead most of the time last several yrs and was getting good results with the remington premier 3" 1 1/4 6's when I got low(1 box)of the older green box remington hevi-shot.Found a place to buy a case of the older hevishot so I got one.After reading what the turkey thug 3" are doing I have a feeling there is gonna be a box or 10 sitting in my cabinet soon.I figure if I have a stash of stuff that I know is more than adequate,it wont hurt as much if or when I run out of my "pet" loads.Man cant have too many shells IMO.

"There are turkey hunters and people who hunt turkeys.I hope I am remembered as a turkey hunter"

decoykrvr

I'm shooting ducks and geese w/ some of my turkey load "stash" which consist of Remington green Hevi-Shot 4's, 5's, and 6's and Federal HW Flitecontrol 5's, 6's, and 7's.  I killed a lot of turkeys w/ the "old" green Remingtons and never got the turkey hunting patterns I wanted from the Federals, but the patterns are fine for waterfowl.  The patterns which I get from several different gun/choke combinations and my hunting success w/ the Hevi-13 loadings has been my incentive to "stock up".  Conversations w/ several individuals who work for major ammunition manufacturer's, their forecast on increases in component cost, the real possibility of higher govt. mandated taxes, and increased cost to them as a result of pending and anticipated litigation are all additional reasons to "stash" ammunition for all forms of hunting and recreational shooting.  Have any of you priced a brick of 22 caliber shells recently?

BrowningGuy88

I have really stocked up on H-13 6's for my 20 and bought a lot of the Pre-FCW Fed 3.5" for the 935. I am going to buy 10 more boxes of the od Fed's if I ever find them.

That is one thing I like about Winchester HV Black Box. You get the same performance year after year.

BigXX78

Gee! I thought I had a stash of turkey loads! You guys blow my collection away... I've only got 18 total boxes (10/box or equivalent) assorted 12's and 20's.  Some still have price stickers that say: $5.99, $6.49, $6.99. Now I feel guilty if I buy more, other than if I get great deals on Hevi-shot, since I collect way more than I'll probably ever shoot. I do have 12 boxes of assorted .300 Win. Mag. ammo, plus 2 boxes of 200 gr .300 WM, I've been saving 15 years for an Alaskan moose hunt that's never materialized. Would that count in the stash contest! I haven't counted dove, small game or waterfowl loads. Somehow, I'll bet I'd still lose. LOL!

Tom Foolery

Just look at the Hevi13 3.5's at my local store.  I started shooting them 2 years ago, they were $19.99 per box of 5.  I walked in yesterday and the same ammo is $34.99 per box of 5!

ILIKEHEVI-13

I got 55 Hevi-13 loads stashed.  And I am going to get some more. 

01Foreman400

You can't go wrong buying the Heavyweight or Hevi-Shot right now is as cheap as it going to be again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Huntin Fool From Georgia!