News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

My new Benelli M2 and I need some Help!

Started by Bradley, March 11, 2013, 12:57:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bradley

Hey Guys,
I broke down yesterday and purchased me a M2 with a 26" barrel (I wanted a 24" but all they had was a 26" and I've had a hard time finding one). I've been wanting one for a few years now and seeing how they keep increasing in price at a rapid rate I went ahead and got one. After shooting it today with the factory full choke tube it looks like my wallet will be called to duty a few more times. This gun will be a multipurpose gun but I was also hoping to use it as my primary Turkey gun, hope I didn't make a costly mistake by going with the M2. So I'M hoping you Guys can help me out with finding a good choke tube and some shot that will pattern well in the M2. Any and all info would be greatly appreciated; it could help keep me from having to get a second job and/or a divorce.
Thanks in advance Shane

chris30br

I have the the same gun with a 24". I would recommended two ways to go. .562 Sumtoy with federal hw7's or a .555 Indian creek with h13 7's. Both are great but I think the Federal Hw hits alot harder. By far the two best factory shell combos goin, and IV tested em all.

chris30br

Here is a feral hw7 with Sumtoy shot a few weeks ago.

Bradley

Thanks Chris for the info. How far was the shot on the target with 172 in the circle? How far out do you think the 7's will reach and still be affective?
I live out west where it's really open and sometimes will have longer shots. I don't really know the Max range on this little M2 20 gauge, so any feed back in regards to Max range from you Guys would be great and any other info that might be useful in tuning this 20ga into a sweet little Turkey Taker.
Thanks again

ahfox16

My buddy shoots a Benelli Nova with a Pure Gold .570.  He averages 170 in the 10" circle at 40 yards.  He could have gone with a tighter choke, but he wanted to allow a bit of wiggle room if the bird was closer.  FWIW he's killed 8 turkeys with that gun.  The longest was 35 yards some of the others much closer (11 yards).  He shoots Nitro Ray's size 7 shells. 

PS.  He had a Remington 870 Supermag and sold it this year.  He decided he would rather carry a 6 lb 20 gauge then a 8.5 pound 12 gauge up and down the mountains.  Can't say I blame him.  I've got a Nova 20 inbound this year as well.  With the new HTL ammo, a 20 can easily do what a 12 did in the old days with the very best lead shells. 

Mainer

I've been killing Turkey's with my M2 20 gauge for a few years now.
26" barrel, Pure Gold .555 shooting 3" Heavy-13 #6's, have 2 confirmed kills over 50 yrds.
The rest were a lot closer.
This load/choke combination is very effective, give it a try, I think you'll agree...good luck

vaturkey

I recently bought a Benelli M2 20 Ga. with a 26" barrel. I got a Sumtoy choke & have only shot it once with that choke & Fed hw 7's. I got 149 in a 10" @ 40 yards. I'm sure it will do better when the wind stops blowing here in the Mt's. here in Va. The gun is very capable of killing @ over 40 yds but the rules on this form prohibit any talk of shots over 40 yds. Good luck with your M2 ! You will love it !

vaturkey   :newmascot:
Vaturkey

Sand Man

Those chromed lined Benelli barrels pattern great from my experience.  I have a 20ga M1 that I ran a .582 HS Undertaker on.  I was shooting TSS reloads with 1oz of 9's X 7/16oz of 8's with 271 hits in a 10" circle @40 yards.

Let the little twenty EAT!!!!

archdriver

I  have  had the  M2 20 ga  for  couple of  yrs.   i  have  found  that the  factory  full choke
works great with  Fed HW #7

believe it or not,   the  factory  full has   590  exit diameter.  which is  tighter than most all 
after-market Xfull chokes  and almost as  tight as  'turkey' chokes.  (example Trulock    580)

here is  a picture of a 30 yrd  pattern.   10" circle

ArchDriver

chris30br

Quote from: Bradley on March 11, 2013, 04:33:10 AM
Thanks Chris for the info. How far was the shot on the target with 172 in the circle? How far out do you think the 7's will reach and still be affective?
I live out west where it's really open and sometimes will have longer shots. I don't really know the Max range on this little M2 20 gauge, so any feed back in regards to Max range from you Guys would be great and any other info that might be useful in tuning this 20ga into a sweet little Turkey Taker.
Thanks again
that patter was shot at a taped 40 yards. This shell and choke combo will kill well past 40. I'm goin to shoot some tss as some as the weather brakes. You will love this gun. The factory full choke wont put up the numbers at 40 but you cab try it before ya get a aftermarket choke, just don't east to much time or shells on the factory choke

ahfox16

Sorry, you had mentioned pentration.  I can tell you that the Nitro 7's completely penetrated a sheet of new 1/4" plywood at 40 yards.  Penetration is not a problem with the size 7's and I believe the heavyweights are even denser.

Bradley

Thanks Guys for all the awesome feed back. I still haven't made up my mind on a choke. I also posted on other sites and I'm going to give it a few days to see all possible responses. I think the first choke tube I will try is the one that is most recommended by all my fellow Turkey chasers.

I'm impressed with the 7 shot going through 1/4" plywood at 40 yards.

VaTurkey, being fairly new to the site I'm not sure about the forum site rule in regards to mentioning shots over 40 yrds but thanks for going out on a limb and sharing your thoughts about " over 40 yard shots " LOL Shh be wery wery quite I'm hunting a waskely waddle wearing bird and I will shoot him over 40 yards!  :fud: :gobble:
I will post all the choke data I collect and let you all know what chokes are most recommended for the M2 20 gauge. Maybe this will help someone at a later date.
Thanks again Guys

Bradley

Hey Guys, I finally  got tired of reading, researching and waiting so I broke down today and called William. I purchased a Sumtoy 562 and Federal heavy 7s. I hope it works well, we shall see. I will give you all an update after I try out this combo.

chris30br

You will be happy how the federals will pattern out of the sumtoy

Bradley

OK Guys I finally got my Sumtoy .562 and 3" Federal heavyweight 7s 1 1/2oz. I had a chance to go try them out today. Here are the results from 40 yards on a 10". Temp was around 60 with 15+ MPH winds. 224 in the 10", 314 total on a 18"x20" target. I'm Happy :camohat:  :happy0064:
Thanks everybody for all the suggestions and advice.