Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

PROS vs CONS... Early May Turkey Hunting

Started by Full_Fan, March 07, 2013, 07:46:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Full_Fan

I have an opportunity to turkey hunt northern Missouri the last 5 days of the season this spring, May 1st to May 5th.  The season opens on April 15th.  I have access to some land that will have some but not much pressure on it before I hunt it.  I know that by the time May rolls around the hunting can get tough in some places with the birds not responding to calling as well as they might earlier in the season.  I also know that last year the spring was really early in the Midwest and the birds started breeding much earlier than normal making May hunting tough.

On a typical year, is the hunting still good in May or am I better off postponing the hunt until spring 2014 where I could make April dates work?

Any feedback would be appreciated.  Thanks!

Spring_Woods

Man I don't know about Missouri, but the end of the season here (ohio) is the best time to hunt imo.

You may not get a screaming, stomping hot gobbler but if you can coax a gobbler your way it's usually a sure thing. I love late season!
"Was that a gobble?":gobble:

appalachianstruttstopper

Late season here in VA is when we harvest our biggest birds typically. I would probably trade my first 3 weeks during April for our last 2 weeks in the beginning of May if I could only chose one.

guesswho

Any time you can turkey hunt is a good thing.  I don't know but I'd guess you could still find one that wants to die.  Here in Georgia most years there are still a handful acting up.  But it's really on a year to year basis.  Good luck.
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

Ded Goblr

That's when things really get cookin here in Nebraska.. Pretty darn close..

TurkeyTom

Here in New York State we can only hunt in May.   :goofball:    Our season is all month long.

Sometimes the first half of May is real slow and then really gets interesting after about the 15th. And like Spring_Woods remarked, the biggest Toms are usually taken near the end of the month.

I think it has a lot to do with a shortage of hunters   :fud:   out later in the season. They might have tagged out or be fishing up here so it leaves a lot less pressure on the big birds so they feel more comfortable coming to the calls. 

Also, most hens up here have been sitting on the nest or the eggs are hatching so there is a shortage of love in the woods for him.   :drool:  Kinda like the last lady at the bar at closing time gets the most attention.  :funnyturkey:

alclark2

Thats all we get in Indiana. Last week of April and first week of May. I'd say if you have a chance to go just do it!
Hoosier Hunt n Fish

PALongspur

By early May here in PA, we are just getting warmed up!!  :you_rock:

Hooksfan

I say go for it.  It will really depend on how much pressure has been put on the birds you are chasing.  I live in Missouri, and a perfect scenario season for me is to start the season in the south and head north as the season progresses. 
The most exciting hunt I had last year was on the last day of the Missouri season when I called a bird in for my 11 year old son--and that was in Southwestern Missouri.  It may be winding down, but it won't be over. 
Northern Missouri has been hit harder with the poor hatches several years back, but all areas are bouncing back with the last two Spring hatches.
Good luck.

budtripp

I live in northern Missorui and I've killed many birds the last week of our season. May can be good, less competition from hens and less hunting pressure since its mostly just the die hards still out. As someone stated before anytime you turkey hunting is a good time.

Full_Fan

Thanks for the feedback guys.  Like a lot of you said, anytime is a good time to be in the woods chasing birds.  I just wanted to be sure that the hunting is still good that time of year on a typical year.  Looks like I'll be in northeast MO the first few days of May.  Best of luck to all!

Gumby

At least you don't live in Arkansas....we open April 20 and close May 4. That is LATE for down here.

deerhunt1988

Have hunted south-central MO the past 5 springs. Two of those years we had 'early springs', 2010 and 2012. It totally shut the birds down the last week of the season in 2010, we struggled to hear a gobble. Last year there we hunted the first 4 days and then came back during the latter part of the second week..Went from good gobbling to almost no gobbling..

BUT, the other 3 years we have went, we have had no problem getting on birds the last week of the season...And it looks as if this season is shaping up to be 'normal', so I'd definitely try it if I were you.

tomstopper

Quote from: TurkeyTom on March 08, 2013, 01:18:38 PM
Here in New York State we can only hunt in May.   :goofball:    Our season is all month long.

Sometimes the first half of May is real slow and then really gets interesting after about the 15th. And like Spring_Woods remarked, the biggest Toms are usually taken near the end of the month.

I think it has a lot to do with a shortage of hunters   :fud:   out later in the season. They might have tagged out or be fishing up here so it leaves a lot less pressure on the big birds so they feel more comfortable coming to the calls. 

Also, most hens up here have been sitting on the nest or the eggs are hatching so there is a shortage of love in the woods for him.   :drool:  Kinda like the last lady at the bar at closing time gets the most attention.  :funnyturkey:
:agreed: I am from NY as well & agree with you. I have killed my biggest gobblers late in the season. Love will make them do some stupid things......

deadbuck

Quote from: Gumby on March 08, 2013, 09:29:28 PM
At least you don't live in Arkansas....we open April 20 and close May 4. That is LATE for down here.
Gumby: I thought it usually opened April 1 in Arkansas. Has it changed recently?