OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Question for 835 owners or previous owners

Started by MT2, March 06, 2013, 08:44:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MT2

Shortly I'll be going to pick up a new to me 835 in woodland camo. Not a finish I prefer but sometimes you buy what you can afford. This will be my 3rd 835 so I know what Im getting into, however since my last days pattern a turkey gun alot of loads have changed. I found a old box of Remington Hevi-Shot before HS went solo. So yes its been a few moons ago.

Question is, what load choke combinations work best for you? Looking for a idea of which direction to go.

A few chokes Ive been looking at are:
Primos Jelly Head
Carlson's Ported
TruGlo Bone Collector

Like to keep my choke tube under $50 but the Kicks and Gobblin Thunder BPS sales are tempting as most likely I'll just drive to BPS when the time comes.

surehuntsalot

it's not the harvest,it's the chase

allaboutshooting

"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

ILIKEHEVI-13

longhorn

I shot two 835's today. One with the TruGlo BC and the other with an IC choke, both with hvy 13 #7. The bone collector out shot the IC  by 30 pellets. I know they were in different guns but last year I shot the BC and the SSX out of the same gun and they were pretty much dead even. I'm still going to start the season with the IC but both the BC and the SSX are good chokes.

mightyjoeyoung

Here is the hevi shot 7 pattern I got last year through the TG BC choke.  I think it works, and don't doubt for one second it could outshoot an IC choke.  It also put up an avg. of 161/10" with Fed pre-fc wad 2 ounce 6's and spectacular numbers (can't remember exactly) with Fed HW 7's if that tells you how good that choke really is...especially for the money.
Big Al's "Take-em" Style Silhouette decoys Pro-Staff.

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind te most.

BandedSpur

Quote from: mightyjoeyoung on March 07, 2013, 08:30:46 AM
Here is the hevi shot 7 pattern I got last year through the TG BC choke.  I think it works, and don't doubt for one second it could outshoot an IC choke.  It also put up an avg. of 161/10" with Fed pre-fc wad 2 ounce 6's and spectacular numbers (can't remember exactly) with Fed HW 7's if that tells you how good that choke really is...especially for the money.

That is spectacular.

MT2

WOW, I think you just made up my mind.

ILIKEHEVI-13

And not trying to take anything away from Joe's awesome pattern he shot above with the Bone Collector choke on a 64  degree day, but if you do the math this one at 45 degrees more than likely would be just as awesome if comparing the 2 head to head since we are talking about a cooler 19 degree difference in temp change since it was shot at 45 degrees with a SSX choke.

ILIKEHEVI-13

And just to let you know the Star Dot choke that shoots so well when it 60 degerees or warmer only did about 240 on that same 45 degree day with the same loads. 

MT2

Sounds like to me that truglo makes some really good chokes in the $50 range.

lowoctane

Depending on your budget and what you can find used, I have great experience with a .690 JellyHead... :funnyturkey:
And as an afterthought, the camo you picked works very well in the woods!
I'm Old School...
GOD, GUTS AND GUNS
MADE AMERICA GREAT,
LET'S KEEP ALL THREE!
NRA Endowment
NAHC Life

davisd9

That is the best Hevi 7 pattern I have seen.  It is beautifully even!  Cannot find a hole in it!
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

ILIKEHEVI-13

Quote from: davisd9 on March 08, 2013, 09:28:22 AM

That is the best Hevi 7 pattern I have seen.  It is beautifully even!  Cannot find a hole in it!

Well I kind a like this one, too.

davisd9

The right side of that one has more shot than the left.  A few small holes on the left as well.  You have higher numbers but that is not very important to me over 150 hits using Hevi. How even the pattern is what I am looking for. Not bad though.
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer