turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

How Early??

Started by Hhayes6, March 05, 2013, 12:17:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hhayes6

:morning: How long do you Alabama boys get out before daylight? I guess what I'm asking is will the birds gobble before everything starts lighting up?

BrowningGuy88

I like to be in the woods and standing next to the truck 30 minutes before first light. If I know where one is roosted I will be setting up 30 minutes before first light.

J Hook Max

I usually like to get to my listening spot very early, at least thirty minutes before any light. If you suspect that turkeys may roost near your listening spot, try and make sure you are inside some cover. I have been busted right off the bat before by not doing so.

guesswho

As long as I'm there when the crows start I'm good.  Even if I miss that I don't sweat it to much.
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

redleg06

If I have one roosted and think I need to get in without being seen then I'm there when it's pitch black.  If I dont have one roosted then I'm not too worried about getting there when it's pitch black, although I'm a morning person so I dont mind getting up a few min. earlier and I like to hear that first gobble of the morning.

appalachianstruttstopper

earlier than your buddies that hunt the same area   :gobble:

atoler

depends on the situation. Strictly taling about hearing birds. I like to be at my listening spot at the time that it starts getting light. Although I do like to be a few minutes early to give me some contingency.

the only reason I get there earlier is to make sure I get the spot I want on public land, or if I have a specific bird spotted and want to get in close across open ground.

T-town

Quote from: Hhayes6 on March 05, 2013, 12:17:34 PM
:morning: How long do you Alabama boys get out before daylight? I guess what I'm asking is will the birds gobble before everything starts lighting up?

My experience in Bama (almost 30 years)... occassionally they do, usually they don't.  But I get out at 0'dark thirty. Just me. If you get there early, you're not late

paboxcall

Quote from: redleg06 on March 05, 2013, 01:04:14 PM
If I have one roosted and think I need to get in without being seen then I'm there when it's pitch black.  If I dont have one roosted then I'm not too worried about getting there when it's pitch black...

:agreed:

Other factor is if I'm using my mountain bike to get back in, then early isn't a critical component of the plan, or I'm walking cross country through the timber then its extra early to get where I need to be for 30 minutes before dawn.
A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods. Yoder409
Over time...they come to learn how little air a good yelper actually requires. ChesterCopperpot

Spring_Woods

Depends. On public land I like to be there about 2 hours before fly down. Around home and on my farm, 30 minutes if I'm lucky.  :laugh:
"Was that a gobble?":gobble:

Michigander

One thing I have noticed here in MI, is that they don't start gobbling near as early as they did 15 years ago. Maybe its just they area I hunt in, but it usually is getting pretty light before they start hollerin. So on the farms I hunt, it is usually getting light when I get there.

Areas I have hunted in MO, they start gobbling when its still pitch black. I like to get out earlier because its so much easier to sneak in close in the dark.

Matt81302

I'm not in Bama, but here in SC I like to be in my listening spot at least 30 min. before any sign of light in the sky. Some times earlier because were I hunt here in the mountains of SC you can hear a bird quite a ways off if your up high enough. So there may be a lot of ground to cover pretty quickly.

Hhayes6

redleg06

Quote from: appalachianstruttstopper on March 05, 2013, 11:08:52 PM
earlier than your buddies that hunt the same area   :gobble:

this is always a good idea also!

TurkeyTom

Here in New York State, I've never heard one gobble in the dark. It's always after the song birds start tweeting. But I like to be in the woods early anyways.   :morning: